Who is getting the new iPhone

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DOA, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I know there are a few Apple haters at MG, please don't bother posting your prejudices here.
    That being said I think there is an iPhone 6+ in my future. The Galaxy 3 is nice and all, but seems just short of what I want. I have large hands so the extra screen size is welcome, hence the Galaxy.
    Is any one else getting the new iPhone?

2. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I'd like too. Sounds like a fantastic device. I've been very happy with my iPhone 4 . . . but I can't justify the expense right now. Unexpected medical bills have popped up, and at any rate I've heard the cost of the 6 is pretty steep.

Eventually, yes, I'm getting one. :)

3. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

I am an IT Admin and the company that I work for will be getting 10 as soon as they are available over here ;)
    They will be replacing our now ageing Blackberry Torches :-D
    Pity I really dislike Apple products (the company already has 10 of the current ipads) and now to conform to company policy I will have to have an iphone too rolleyes

Oh well it might teach an old dog new tricks ;):-D

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Not me. I had an iPhone and doubt I'll go back. I'm sure I'll be getting one (under contract) for my daughter for Christmas or birthday, though.

I haven't looked at details. Did they come out with those sapphire screens?

5. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

No Sapphire screens, iPhone specs look pretty ordinary.
    But people buying an iPhone are not fooled by specs, they want what works for them.
    The real contest may be Siri vs Cortana.
    Remember, I am riding a motorcycle most of the time so my needs are a bit different. Silicon Valley traffic is murder unless you can lane-split so my phone has to be totally voice and totally without effort.

6. joffa

Hey Laura my son just went to the Telstra staff launch for the new iphone (Telstra is The biggest phone company here) Not too much new but they are fixing some old problems and also will be running ios8. They certainly will have saphire screens so they don't crack when in your pants pocket and you bend over. They will come in two screen sizes. Only colours available will be white and gold ;)

BTW Something else of possible real interest for you Laura..... they will have a 20 megapixel camera and have a CCD that could be stretched to 40 megapixel with different firmware which is in development :cool

This was all I got from a 10 minute chat with my son before he went to bed as he didn't get back from the launch until midnight rolleyes

7. joffa

We posted at the same time DOH!
    My son just went to the technical launch for Telstra Australia and they will definitely be having saphire screens to counter the problem of screens breaking when people put them in their tight pants pockets then bend over. Saphire gives better torsional strength :cool

8. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Have a link for that? All the press I read says only the watch will have Sapphire.

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

What? I get an iPhone 4, and then those evil ones upgrage it? :-D Going to stay with the iPhone 4, more than meets my needs as my first smart phone.

10. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

If you can't afford the new one, I'm sure there will be a lot of iPhone 5's on the market soon enough.

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Honest answer is nope as nothing new to sway me, NFC is not new and a Nokia/Philips/Sony invention anyways back in 2004 in the mainstream, I've had it for 2yrs+ on my Nokia, screen size ok larger but not new and many others are larger and better Px density.

That said the iPhone is good for newcomers to the smartphone market, but TBH Android and Windows Phone are just as user friendly now and Windows Phone for me has the edge now. Apps Smapps! not a plus point to have 100K of apps that TBH no one uses as most on iTunes are zombie apps and downloaded by a few, the core apps are on all platforms nowadays.

Battery life is a killer for iPhones and it will be interesting to hear some real world feedback on this as larger screen will eat power, as many moving from current iPhone 5s to Android and more so Windows have said batter life is better, with larger screens.

I have an iPhone 3s still and its ok, battery life is crud but its old so expected but it works, so to those with 4 iPhones and the need to have all that's Apple, do you really need a new one?

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Not me. iPhone is limited with what it can do--making it bigger doesn't increase its functionality.

13. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

I'll be getting the iPhone 6 when it comes out. Have had every major release (not second "S" release) since the iPhone 3G. I don't want an Android phone they don't seem sturdy enough for me. The outer shells and material don't weigh up to the exclusive parts/material Apple get's for all of their product lines. There's certain manufacturing skills going into specific parts (they've always done that under strict contracts). So in essence I'm not getting a phone just for horse power. I want the physical and tech parts inside to be of the highest standard. That's a lot more important to me than bad solder, cheap pcb, or shells that wear down easily. Aside from everything mentioned above. The debates will continue far beyond the time we're long gone (God forbid). In my case I want a product that just "works." Apple has always provided that for me, and I've never had a problem whatsoever with their products. They simply "work." & by that I mean the old "Windows vs OSX debate." No issues, if any so minor they disappear from your life within seconds.

Good Thread

P.s.
    Won't be surprised if my post gets a couple of *sighs,* people are usually against anything they don't like initially. :-D

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

There are several premium built Android devices out there. Now why that doesn't seem like very many, remember the iPhone6 is two at best.

In fact, check the HTC One M8. Apple pretty much ripped off the back look, though they have licensing deal with HTC so that probably has some bearing on it.

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I wouldn't go below an S4 musk.

Anyway, I went the opposite direction. I haven't had a landline in 4 years.

16. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

iPhone 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Good input from all!
    Wifey and I went to the cell phone store to see what assistant we like.
    The store was crowded and noisy so I had my doubts.
    Cortana was the nicest voice, but most difficult to talk to in the noise.
    Siri did the same stuff, but seemed to do more because the noise bothered her less.
    Google Now was a total disaster, only one in three times would it pick up when called on, the other two with buttons were more reliable in the noise.
    We are still looking at the iPhone, but not until early November as that is when it will actually be available without pre-ordering. Our Cell provider is ATT and the fine print on a pre-order looks mighty suspicious.

18. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

I love my Galaxy S5; it is a great phone. No complaints from me. :cool

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Cortana is still beta. Imagine what it will be like when finished. That said, the noise issue wasn't handled better by the assistants, it was handled better by the phone microphone.

20. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

I am getting ready to make that leap and cancel my landline tomorrow. There is no logical reason for us to keep the landline as our cell service meets our needs. However, I feel a bit uneasy with cancelling the service. Old habits die hard it seems. :)

21. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

APPLE SUCKS!!!!! :-D

Seriously though, I love my Droid and the freedom open source programming offers (AHEM, low cost). My phone is a piece of crap which is only used for text, talk (not so much), and a 3G hotspot. That's why I own a ThinkPad and a Nexus.

22. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Android's open source offers less than you think.

A phone isn't open if you have to exploit it to unlock it,

23. the mekanic

It is "ulnocked".

No exploitation required...

24. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Not if its a "Droid".

25. the mekanic

Why so serious? :-D

I don't need to root it for it to work.

26. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its not open if it isn't rooted and unlocked.

Thats my point ;) Open source holds no advantages in those cases. Bring us back full circle to my original comment.

I like Android as much as the next person, but i hold no illusions about what open source means to anyone with a locked down device.

27. the mekanic

Details, details.:cool

For layman's purposes, encryption outweighs vulnerability.

28. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well in that case, they should choose Windows Phone because by default, Android isn't encrypted. :-D

29. the mekanic

I guess we'll have to give that one to Ubuntu...

30. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

31. Bleepimus

Bleepimus Private E-2

32. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I was wondering if the Apple haters would post when asked not to.
    Seems they cannot get out of the habit of changing every thread into an Apple bash.
    Adry has a good point, I will try Cortana on different phones, it may well be the mic.

33. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Waiting for its launch in India, will go for it.

Cheers..

34. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

This link is a bash. Some truth, yes, but the facts are formatted to enforce prejudice, not inform.
    If I wanted to do the same I could post how many Windows problems vs how many Mac problems are solved here at MG and "prove" Macs must be much better. Certainly the truth.

On the up side, Cortana is coming to Windows 9 on Sept 30. There may be a change in my phone choice. Especially since I am getting quoted late November for an iPhone.

35. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

You just an iBasher! :-D

I am still sticking with my iPhone 4. It is smarter than I am, I don't need any more features yet.

36. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Apple or Android, I still cannot figure out why so many people seemingly dump their old phone every time the newer model comes out.

I do phone calls, texts and a few pictures - that's about it. I own a desktop, notebook and 54" TV - all of which are better for viewing video without having to squint. If I have to wait someplace for a little while, I can think about important things in my life that don't include "Angry Birds" or "Candy Crush."

37. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

For me it has been a while, Wifey and I still have our iPhone 4's.
    We are not small people, Wifey is 5' 10" and I am 6'. XXL gloves are the smallest I can get into. The iPhone 4 is small for us. But I wanted to give Apple a chance before buying another phone.
    Apple Pay may be great, still learning on that one.
    Security is a concern so Android gets a -2 for that but a +1 for being a more open phone. Windows phones are still in beta IMO but may turn out well.

Maybe I should just hack a larger screen on my 4! :p

38. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I am shocked at how many people in groups eating or whatever, are often all on their phone, instead of talking to each other. Sometimes they look angry when the person shows up to take their order.

39. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I bought mine used, so it is an unregistered apple product. Lots of gun owners have them, so we can secretly keep track of what the opposition is doing. :-D

40. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Went to my favorite burger joint last week. 4 college students walked in, all with phones in hand. They sat down, ordered, and actually set the phones down on the table and had a conversation. I was pleasantly surprised.

41. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

42. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Interesting DOA. I wonder what the police will try now.

43. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

44. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Seen iPhone 6 Plus now and TBH nothing new larger screen, but still smaller than many Samsungs and the odd Nokia, camera not as good as Nokia's, NFC not new and I've had this on my 2yr old Nokia 920 already. The OS is still old and looking tired, but that said its a great lead in for anyone for smartphones, also said again, the Android and Windows phones are piddly easy to use now, so Apple has lost its edge, apart from the marketing side.

They say the design is new and the curvy screen to the case woooooh neat, but not new its a clone of Nokia as my 920 screen curves to the case.

Folks who have 2 or more apple devices keep on buying the new ones, even when they do not need them, great ploy.

Apps nothing new to take advantage of any new aspects of the iPhone 6 but then its early days, I think I would have to use one for a month or so to judge but past experience of an old iOS tells me nothing new to offer and my current phone has all I need as I don't need a million zombie apps.

45. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Superior hardware that never gets taken advantage of. Its like using MS Word on a gaming rig.

46. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Apple is the forbidden fruit. :-D (here)
    At times the urge negates the cons!
    And sexy counts. :drool

Got me there Dave!

But I prefer a Windows OS on my PCs and Laptops.

Cheers..

47. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

You mean I don't need dual 290X's in crossfire to post here?

As far as new, Apple may have done Apple pay right. The concept is not new, but the implementation and sales pitch is. Maybe we will catch up with Japan.

48. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I don't even think the implementation is new.

49. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I'm not an apple hater or lover . . . I'm neutral as far as cell phones go. I prefer windows based PC's over Mac based, but to be honest I've not used many Macs. Some people swear by them and to each his own. "De gustibus non est disputandum" say I. :)

I'm sticking with my iPhone 4 till it stops doing what I need it to do. So far, it's been a dependable device. I am a bit bummed it can't run the new ios 8, but not a big deal.

I simply cannot conceive of a gaming situation where overkill is a bad thing . . . better to have the oomph and not need it then the reverse :-D

50. CosmicGeek302

CosmicGeek302 Private E-2

I'm holding out for the 7. I have a 5 right now. I like it, but my battery gets eaten up like nothing. Literally I could use my phone for 10 minutes and it would take up half my battery. I thought the iOS update would fix it... but no. :-/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds