XP won't recognize my SATA Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by cybermedic, Mar 18, 2005.

1. cybermedic

cybermedic Private E-2

I have used both methods.....

1. using an old '95 boot disk I boot to the "A" drive. I use the FDISK command and partition the drive. Then I use the FORMAT command A: C: format c:/s.....then using a 98 boot disk to load cd drivers....and then run setup.

2. Remove all partitions from the SATA HD...and boot using the XP disk.

both times XP states it can't find a HD and will stop installation.

My question:

How do I get Winblows XP to see an SATA Hard Drive??

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

You need the sata drivers on a floppy, run windows setup at the beginning you must press F6 for third party drivers, if you miss the prompt at the bottom of the screen you'll have to run windows setup again, latter during the windows setup you'll be prompted to insert the floppy containing the drivers.
    The sata drivers should be on the mobo cd, might even be a read me file with directions.
    Each mobo is litttle different, some mobo's come with sata drivers already on floppy, most you have too extract sata drivers from the mobo cd, unzip and apply to floppy disk, some mobo cd's the file's you need is marked as F6 or something like that.
    Do you have mobo manual some info on sata might be in there.

To format the HDD you can use a utility from the HDD manufacture, Maxtor is Maxtblast 3, Western Digital is Data LifeGuard Tools, Some are avaible here at MG

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds