Keep two users out?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mbmadiw, Jul 17, 2006.

1. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

I want to allow only one of three users into a fourth computer's My Documents over the network, but am not sure how to set it up right. How can I share the folder with only the one computer?

All use Windows XP. No server, just to peer to peer networking.

Thanks!

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Try this:

1. Share out the folder.
    2. On the local machine, right click the folder
    3. Select 'Properties'

Here, we should see a 'Security' tab. You can control access to the folder here. Post back if you don't have this tab, and I'll post the instructions on how to get it.

3. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

There is not a security tab! Definitely let me know how to get it please. THANKS!

4. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

I got the security tab on my own by unchecking simple file sharing. If that was wrong, please let me know the right way. If that was right, I now need to know what to do with it to allow only the one user in please.

THANKS

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Yep! You did it right. Now, all you have to do is open up that security tab, and add the users you DON'T want to give access to, and check 'Full Control' under the 'Deny' column, and they won't be able to do a thing w/ that folder.

6. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

I was looking at that and am a little lost. I can't see everyone else on the list. There is only Everyone and the computer user's name. If I try to Add another user, I can't seem to get to anyone else.

7. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

You probably won't see everyone else. SInce your computer is not on a domain it won't know any of the users except the ones that are on it.

You should probably not allow access to anyone except 'owner' in the permissions.

Before you change permissions be sure you know what your are doing or at least know the administrator password so you can take over ownership of the folder if anything goes wrong.

Matt

8. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Either create a user account for the user you want to have access to the files and then give that user permissions as Mada_Milty has suggested OR give the one user you want to have access the administrator password..not really the way to go.

9. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

I shared the folder. Then, I created the user account for logon, and also deleted "Everyone" from the permissions list, then added the second user. It works perfectly. The right user can get in, but the others cannot.

I knew how to do this for Windows 2000 Pro, but the same steps were different for XP. Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds