Which memory stick?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ASAABIAR, May 30, 2009.

1. ASAABIAR

ASAABIAR Private E-2

I haven't been backing up my PC properly. Can I back up onto a memory stick or does it have to be on a floppy disc or DVD?
    If so, which type?
    Apparently my system has been trying to create a shadow copy of files on the D:drive and there is no room there.
    Also want to store my photos on a seperate Memory Stick. Is there an appropriate one for this or does it not matter.
    At a brief look there seems to be ...... pro duo, flash, hi speed flash, ready boost flash, high speed pen drive - USB memory etc etc !!!!!
    PC is an Inspiron 530S
    As you may gather advanced technology is not my "thing".
    I do have a DVD + RW 4.7 GB 1 - 4X speed if this would be better for backing up.
    Thanks

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

You can back it up anyway you like. Internal second drive, external second drive, CD or DVD, memory stick and so on. Personally, I keep a second hard drive, an external hard drive AND and occasional DVD backup of my music and photos. I would use the DVD and buy some DVD's, it will always be there for you, where hard drives and other media tend to fail more over time.

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

A lot depends on how much you want to backup?
    I have a range of flash drives (memory sticks is normally used when referring to ram) ranging from 1gb up to 16gb.
    If you want to back up files you can do it with your DVD burner but these are not as flexible as flash drive.
    The way i have done it personally is i have a flash drive for each sort of file, so all photos go on one and important documents on anther and so on then set them in a safe place after marking them so i can easily identify what is on them.
    If you want to back up you PC you can also buy an external hard drive quite cheaply, do the backup and store it away, then once a week/month update it depending on how much data you create that you want to save.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds