Windows 7 will not boot after uninstalling fchk.exe

Discussion in 'Software' started by bontrose, Aug 14, 2015.

1. bontrose

bontrose Private E-2

Okay. I admit it. I screwed up on this one.
    I was looking for the keymapping program for my new(old) USB controller. I get dead link after dead link. I finally find a link that isn't dead. it doesn't look the best, but it is listed as the correct item. I download it and decide to try and be safe about it.

open MalwareBytes. update virus defs. scan the file. MalwareBytes says it's clean. run the file.

standard windows install screen. choose advanced options. uncheck the bloatware. click next. I get a pop up window with a very squirrely piece of text followed by an okay and a cancel. The text seems to be telling me that both okay and cancel will Install all of the bloatware. I X out just to be safe. Wrong answer. everything installs at one. F%(&.

Kill the running processes It spawned once It isn't lagging enough to recive input delete the EXE. run MalwareBytes deepest scan.

20 viruses. Quarantine. Purge all. Restart. Scan.
    5 viruses. Quarantine. Purge all. Restart. Scan.
    5 viruses. Quarantine. Purge all. Restart.

At this point I realize its the same 5 items in the same five folders. Something is running on startup.

Fire up Revo uninstaller uninstall everything program it created. Scan.
    0 viruses. Okay, that's a start. turn on WiFi. open Firefox. "your proxy isn't working". F%(&. Kill WiFi
    scan for open ports. found one that looks really odd.
    open IE. Curse IE for being what the entire OS gets it's proxy settings from. remove the proxy on HTTP: and HTTPS:.
    open Firefox. wonder why I can't get to a page now. Turn on WiFi. Https://dgg.gg/ loads. cool. Kill WiFi.
    Check Task manager for any remaining odd tasks. Find two

First process: Click "go to file". it opens windows explorer. delet the file and folder it resides in. realize folder is in temp. purge inside of temp directory.
    Second process: Click "go to file". nothing. Click "go to file". nothing again. this is bad news. I figure it must be running on startup to create the file that spawns this process, which then self destructs.

look up "fchk.exe". Not a lot to go on. can't find it here. can't find it on shouldiremoveit.com. can't find it on Microsoft. Herdprotect that tells me it is malware and the source can be found at "C:\Program Files\fchk32\packages\777e646c-a3b3-49ab-95ff-2ad66c0851f4\"
    go to "C:\Program Files\fchk32\packages\777e646c-a3b3-49ab-95ff-2ad66c0851f4\". Found it! try to delete. try to delete "C:\Program Files\fchk32" Cannot delete the two copies of this EXE. Kill the process. cannot delete.
    Restart. Whole directory is back. F%(&. kill process. try to delete "C:\Program Files\fchk32". Two EXEs remain.

Okay, time to bring out the glass cannon.
    right click. "Unlocker". "no locking handle found." WTF? okay. choose the delete action. "cannot delete" WTF? would you like to delete on restart? Yes.

Reboot. I hope to god. Windows finishes rebooting. The file is gone, the process isn't running, Nearly jumping with joy. WiFi on. *ping* oh, NYKO send me the good program that came with every new controller back in the day. -_-

open the file. good program opens with no install. bind keys. start playing dark souls. shut down for the night.

Start computer next day:
    PXE-E61: Media Test Failure. Check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
    Reboot and Select proper Boot Device
    or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_

F%(&. F%(&. F%(&. F%(&. F%(&. F%(&. F%(&. F%(&. F%(&.

boot options? nope. f8? Nada.

Okay. I have a windows 7 install disk, I'll repair the OS.

Disk loads slow as molasses.
    Okay. Repair.
    sometimes It tries to find OS(and hangs) other times I open the advanced options.
    The advanced options version of repair startup didn't work without selecting an OS.
    command prompt! I'll use the system restore points Revo made! okay what was the command? ah, yes: "rstrui.exe" Needs OS. F%(&. "cd c" nope. "cd c:" nope "cd c:/". ha, no.
    bugger. at the moment I am trying to have the disk tell me that it can't find the Os so I can try having it load drivers to look again, but it takes hours to get to that point and sometimes I have to restart because it is stuck hung.

Any Ideas?

2. bontrose

bontrose Private E-2

[​IMG]
    where it hangs

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Your image is now too small for my "senior eyes" to see.
    Take the huge image and upload it http://www.imagebam.com/
    so those of us that want to see what you are looking at can see it.

4. bontrose

bontrose Private E-2

5. plodr

You did attach that drive to a different computer after Windows had booted up, correct?
    Because you can't boot from the questionable hard drive on a different computer.

6. bontrose

bontrose Private E-2

Yes. after repeated failures to fix or boot I pulled out the HDD and hooked it up via USB that's how I got the format request.

I tried plugging the HDD in as the main on a different computer and it told me that recovery had failed, although it seems to recognize that windows exists on the drive.

7. plodr

That might have done something to the drive because a different computer tried to use it as a boot device. I never tried that so I would have no clue how to fix it.

I'll have to do some digging.
    You don't have any recovery disks only a Windows 7 disk, correct?

8. bontrose

bontrose Private E-2

No. The only time that I try to create a recovery disk it failed on the last disc

9. plodr

This told me it either can't see your hard drive or the network device is set as the first boot device in the BIOS.

Go into your BIOS and post the the boot devices in order.

Read this
    http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/win7s-no-reformat-nondestructive-reinstall/
    I assume your computer has SP1 installed and the Windows 7 DVD also has SP1 on it. If not, please post what the computer is running and what the DVD says.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  10. bontrose

bontrose Private E-2

The original OS that was on the hard drive was a windows 7 home, unknown SP.
    The disk I have is a Windows 7 pro disk that I created when I was part on the MSDNN network.

I originally set the boot order to either CD>HDD>USB>Network or Floppy>CD>HDD>Network.

To note: The original OS was a Dell bloatware-ridden windows 7, whatever came with the inspirion n5050. It did NOT come with a disk.

11. plodr

Since HDD comes before Network and is not being booted then there is something wrong with the hard drive or cable or motherboard connector.

12. bontrose

bontrose Private E-2

The disc is professional service pack 1
    The computer is home professional and does not list the service pack via the repair window on the computer that it does show up on the repair window
    , do you think that the upgrade will take or do you think it will overwrite my stuff

13. bontrose

bontrose Private E-2

Mind you it recognizes it only repair console as if I try to boot with it if fails

14. plodr

You can not repair a hard drive that isn't being recognized.
    You need to figure out if the hard drive is bad, the cable is bad or the connector for the hard drive on the motherboard is bad.

15. bontrose

bontrose Private E-2

Laptop so it connects directly to the motherboard, no cable.
    That being said:
    - the laptop will read a different HDD fine.
    - the HDD will not read correctly on a different computer.

So, yes it sounds like a bad hard drive

16. bontrose

bontrose Private E-2

Well, I sent it to a professional for hard drive recovery. they told me and I kind of expected that the boot sectors were corrupted and that there were other areas of corruption on hard drive so it was simply a case of hard drive failure.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds