"No audio mixer device" Realtek AC'97 help

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tard, Apr 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tard

Tard Private First Class

I just reinstalled windows today (not a full format) and after I got it back up and running it ran perfectly... exept without any sound. So I popped in the CD that came with my mobo for it's onboard sound (nForce4 chipset, 8-channel sound) and installed the Realtek AC'97 software drivers that came with it and what I was using before the install, when it worked perfectly. Well it showed up in the device manager and had no device conflicts anywhere to be seen, but windows didn't seem to pick up that I had it installed and it wouldn't let me select anything for my audio device in the "sounds and audio devices" menu in the control panel, everything there is just ghosted. There's no lil speaker icon in my taskbar for volume control, and when I click on volume control in the Entertainment tab in Accessories, it says I have no "Audio mixer device" installed. Well Realtek AC'97 is my freakin audio mixer device damnit, why won't it pick that up?! I have it installed and have uninstalled and re-installed and updated several times and it still won't detect it and let me use it as my audio device or mixer device! I need help ASAP, I'm a big gamer and can't go without sound. Also, system restore won't let be go back before I reinstalled windows either to get my sound back. Can anyone help me with this?! It'd be GREATLY appreciated!!!

2. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Go here to download driver-http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4400.html
    Note future installs you should back up and burn this to cd.

3. Tard

Tard Private First Class

Thanx for the updated drivers, but it still doesn't recognize them for the audio mixer for some reason. This is pissin me off, there's gotta be some way to force it to see realtek as my audio device. It won't let me select anything at all in the audio devices tab cuz it's all ghosted and it wont pick up that Realtek is the audio mixer too. I just reinstalled windows again and it didn't change a thing. I didn't have this prob when I installed XP for the very 1st time, I have no idea why it is now. The only thing I can think of that's makin it do this is that mabye there is something in the system folders that has some conflict with the Realtek drivers that isnt' showin up in the Device Manager?? I dunno, it's completely baffeling me right now, I'm temped to do a full format, but I got too much data on here to back up, it'd take a crapload of DVDs. Any more suggestions would be extremely appreciated!

4. Tard

Tard Private First Class

35 views and 1 reply..? C'mon guys, I'm beggin... :eek:

5. Tard

Tard Private First Class

bump...

6. Marked For Life

Marked For Life Private E-2

I did that and have basically the same issues as the other posts here :rolleyes: I will say, that BEFORE I installed the wdm a370, I thought the whole thing was getting ready to do a repeat of the 'crash of '04'...but after installing that, it is running much faster now :) I guess that is a good thing...but as I said, the 'ghosty' opt in the sound controller from the control panel is still there...and no sound :( Can anyone help figure this out?

Thanks from a gamer & admirer of great intellect... :)

~Marked For Life

7. Junior Jeeves

Junior Jeeves Private E-2

Try the following steps:

1. Search for machine.inf and then copy to temp directory (C:\Windows\temp).
    2. Edit Machine.inf file and remove at about line 16 " ExcludeFromSelect=* " under Control Flags section
    3. Go to control panel, add new hardware, next (let it search)
    4. Choose yes hardware is connected à Next, scroll to bottom
    5. Choose add new hardware device à Next
    6. Choose install from list à Next
    7. Select system devicesà next à select have disk à point to copy of machine.inf in temp directory
    8. Scroll to "plug and play software device emulator" in right hand column, next and complete install

GOOD LUCK :)

8. Marked For Life

Marked For Life Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestions...I will have to try that then :D I do know now that I did have four trojans and one of those seems to have deleted my audioconfig file in my registry completely before I could find them and finally get rid of them. But I will look into what you have suggested here. Thanks again. ;)

~Marked For Life

9. Racecarlock

Racecarlock Private E-2

I've got the same problem he does, except i have a dell inspiron 1000, i've tried every suggestion i could find on th enet but my audio still isn't functioning! Someone help me please!

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

One problem can be a corrupted or missing file called Sndvol32.exe. You can get a a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows XP disc and then paste it to the system_root\System32 folder. For more info, look here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319095
    Edit: this will only work if you are sure the drivers are ok.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Please make a new thread and don't bump 2 year old ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds