What constitutes a "gaming" case?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigfurrykid, Dec 28, 2009.

1. bigfurrykid

bigfurrykid Sergeant

I've seen countless numbers of cases called "gaming" cases and some don't look like anything special.

By definition, what is a gaming case and what would be the advantages of using one?

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I think that is just a marketing ploy. Just a word to make you think that case is better than other cases. If you are looking for a case, look for one that will fit where you want to place the case, and one that you can fit all your stuff in.

Some like really compact cases, others (me) like really large cases so I can put stuff in them, and actually work in the computer case.. :-D

3. bigfurrykid

bigfurrykid Sergeant

I'm kind of a 1 shot kind of person. Once I build something, I hope that I don't have to take it back apart.

But, I do prefer plenty of room to work in case I do.

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I'm not a gamer but... Gamer cases are usually portable plus lots of fans for proper airflow as gamers have the uber video cards along with a hefty power supply to power everything. I wouldn't personally bother with them unless you are a gamer in which case you should already know this.;)

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Don't buy premods.. :-D

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

As mentioned a marketing plot and their is no real advantage over a good case which has good design and airflow, which is where they have placed the mount points for fans, as an example I'm not a gamer but did want a case that could fit really quiet 120mm fans, (Noctua fans) and the Coolermaster CM690 has given me this for a good price, I could have spend £100 more and got a gamer tagged case or my normal route in an aluminium one, but while this case is good not the best.

It does the job very well and I was working with size contraints which limited some of the cases I was looking at but airflow in the CM690 is very good and with its honeycomb from and top panel, top panel has space for two 120mm fans that will drag alot of air out. Have 5x120mm and 1x80mm plus HSF (Zalman) and PSU fan which is 140mm and quiet as its on a Zalman heatpipe PSU.

The keyword really is research, research, research on the type of case you want, whats hardware is going in and do you need extra HDD bays just in case of adding more, do you need it to be portable for LAN matchs, or not, where is the PSU located as many good cases are housing it at te bottom which allows larger PSUs to be easily fillted, some top mounted ones still have that cradle limit the use of 1000w PSUs are they are larger than standard.

So look at reviews on cases that interest you and mentally picture where all your hardware parts will go and will they fit.

7. bigfurrykid

bigfurrykid Sergeant

It almost seems that the main requirement for calling something a gaming case is some sort of neon lighting.

I have to admit that I just bought a case because I liked the looks and the salesman at Microcenter said it would make a good gaming case, due to multiple fan capabilities.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds