Testing rank system mod

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Major Attitude, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

That is all, couple glitches im working on.

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I noticed that. What is it? A ranking for individual posts?

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Ok I'll bite MA, what this do or its purpose?

4. Major Attitude

You have to be kidding? Welcome to the internet!

5. LauraR

It looks like it rates posts to tell whether they are helpful or not and as a result gives a rating for users? Possible for the help areas which will then allow people to determine whether to follow the advice of the rated individual? Or am I just assuming?

6. Major Attitude

Yup, like used on most websites and blogs. Autoblog, Wowhead for example.

7. Major Attitude

I think it will deflect away from bad tech advice and help the reader pick the correct answer. It also hopefully cuts down on us deleting threads. I can actually set it to be deleted automatically at any number I want voted down. Neat.

8. LauraR

It could also lend itself to abuse possibly. Can people rate their own threads, for example? Or maybe if the person just didn't tell the asker what they wanted to hear...

9. Major Attitude

I think you can, but its once and rating yourself wont help. Currently high rank is 25, highest is 50 which I will modify as we go. Auto delete is currently off.

10. DavidGP

Honesty not kidding I dont deal in this voting system stuff, dont think its ever useful in the real world, funny enough dealing with Google Analytics at present, to see what data that shows.

Ah ok, so is open to individuals interpretation on if a topic is good or not, personally I dont find these useful at all, results are false data, for example you post a thread on IE8 then it gains negitive votes post one on Firefox it gains positives, reason is more so a loathing and hatred of a said company over whether the information in that thread is useful, for this to work it then assumes that the ones voting actually know that the info is correct in the first place.

The thanks system is ok, as it removes alot of posts just to say thanks, but again is open to saying thanks even when the information is rubbish and off topic! just because someone answered, its like postcounts.

So its like one of those voting things that could turn out to be very useful or a waste of time and effort, I do see 1 plus for it but it would need to be only active fot the Original Poster to vote that a reply solved their issue or part solved it.

EDIT:
    OK 2 positives :)

Just typing aloud and coming up with the Devils Advocate side :)

11. Major Attitude

Then you are wrong. Plain and simple. It works and works well almost everywhere I see it in use. We plan to use it here when comments are added down the road. Its something the community participates in to make it a better place. You must not have used it or be familiar with it. Good luck with Devils Advocate, we have a great community and it will be used well.

12. Major Attitude

P.S You need to be registered to use it and not in one of the groups that is banned, not able to pm, etc. I can add or remove any usergroup.

13. DavidGP

Indeed not familiar with it at all but you know me I will try and give anything the benefit of doubt, and I know our good community well. Funny enough I do now remember one similar system thats on MSDN and that works pretty well for a tick to say a post helped, so if this is in same vain then maybe useful.

Can the votes be searched for on a particular subject if you wanted to narrow down your search criteria?

Ah great options, one other one springs to mind inthat spammers use the Thread Voting stars at present to highlight their posts, ah ok may just answered my own question here as if we delete the post/thread then the vote is gone anyways!

14. Major Attitude

No, its really to help people pick out the most useful posts in a given thread. My favorite place for this is Wowhead.com where you can find the better answers 9 times out of 10 or more by the ratings. I would prefer this, and may, over the thanks button.

15. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Is it like on some forums where an answerer gets rated to increase their "reputation" ?
    As a validation of a persons experience and knowledge?

16. Major Attitude

Yes but no, it is ranking that specific post, not the person overall. This is, again, to help people pick the post that helps them most.

17. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

But couldn't it also be used or interpreted as such?

18. Major Attitude

I suppose, but so can thanks mod, but both give credit where DUE, not for spam purposes. Many mods reward for just posting, these award for posting quality, thats what were about :)

19. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Gotcha. I believe I can live with that.

20. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

Haven't ever seen this mod. That's pretty cool. [​IMG]

21. oma

oma MajorGeek

How would one rate more than one reply if all of these replies add up to helping out the OP in the end? Sometimes the questions of the OP aren't very clear or lacking info and therefore additional info is required?

22. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

Disable it on the first post?

Wouldn't be good if the first post got deleted due to negative ratings...

23. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I like this idea... assuming of course that it is to rank only a post and not a user. I can see users abuse the system by teaming up and ranking each other. I also agree that to disable it on the first post of a thread would be good, to prevent it from being deleted.

24. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Well it ranks the post and and not the poster, though one can view how well the He/She has performed over all. Now I'm off to find and befriend some crooks :-D

Cheers...

25. DavidGP

Thats where my inital misgivings where aimed at, and while I may be vocal about such things I know that in the end no matter how hard the site admins try we can not stop this type of action easily, upto other members to point any mis-use of the system to use as that what membership of a forum is helping us help you, and it works great here, especially on spam posts, bad information etc

and for that as one of the Admins I thank you all for assisting us in keeping this forum clean and one the best for tech info.

That I do like in allowing folk to easily find the answer or answers that help as in many cases and OMA picked up on this is that its not always one answer that helps, it could be a multitude of them combined, but I would imagine that a user searching for answers will read all the thread and pick out the best posts from the voting.

Indeed.

Think the honour system is more in place with these types of add-ons that are in a reward type of notification, just like post counts dont mean a damm, could have 5 posts and be spot on the money, or have 5000 and be off target most of the time, do think that the general population of MGs are sensible with these things not to make them a major issue.

Question and think you may have answered it earlier, would their be an admin option to like no PM, limited posting where we can disable a users option to use this system if they abuse it?

Also is it disabled for a user clicking yes to their own post? seem like one should be as its for others IMHO to judge if that is the best answer, or even just the OP of the thread.

Think you can click as many as you like.

26. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Sort of along the same lines & playing devil's advocate also, what if someone cherry picks older posts to rate either good or bad. Is there a time limit option to access older posts for ranking? Say 6 months or a year? The search function grabs all posts regardless of age.

27. Major Attitude

No, a good post with a helpful anser is just that. It will most likely be disabled on chatty forums and only used on technical forums.

28. Major Attitude

P.S Not answering anything else, its pretty self explanatory, at least it should be. It is used on millions of websites. Since we have a small niche of regular, reliable users, this is not going to be a problem but a help.

29. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Thanks for the Mod MA

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds