newbie help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phx, Jul 13, 2005.

1. phx

phx Private E-2

I Just Bought and put together-

AMD 64 3000+
    ASUS A8N-E Mobo
    2x512 Dual Channel Twinmos Memory
    Leadtek 6600GT 128mb

i have a problem, everything is on, all the fans are working the fan on graphics card, cpu etc etc... but when i turned it on for the first time the monitor just stays blank and has the standby orange light on, when i remove the monitor from the computer it asks me to connect something to the monitor.

this is my first time putting a computer together so im pretty newbie, if anyone can help me with regard to getting everything working please post... thanks

(if i haven't included some needed info, please post)

2. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Do a barebones configuration, ie mobo, cpu, vga & ram (one stick only) preferably with the mobo out of the case. Make sure the ram and vga are inserted correctly and firmly seated. Connect the speaker to the mobo header so that you can hear any beeps made.

Try booting again and see what happens. Listen to and make a note of any beeps that are made. As you are aware there should only only be one short beep at post signalling that everything is fine.

The fact that your monitor retains the orange standby light is suggesting that it the monitor is not receiving a signal from the vga (either that or the monitor is on the blink). If you have a spare monitor just try it to elliminate that hw from the process.

EDIT: As regards the bios, have you made any changes. If so load bios default.

Good Luck

3. phx

phx Private E-2

Yeah i tried two different monitors.

4. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

In which case follow the barebones set up as described above and see whether you have the same issue.

If you are still getting the same problem, substitute the vga (6600gt) with another card and see whether that solves.

You need to find out by way of trial and error exactly what hw is causing the issue.....That is the only way to resolve the problem...

Good Luck

5. phx

phx Private E-2

yeah i will try the barebones setup, someone advised me to take out the vga and see if i get the beep when turning the comp on... i did.

someone else said to me that it could be a problem with the psu, mine being a 350w generic psu.

im not too sure but i will try the suggested actions.

thanks

6. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

When you say >>i did<< does that mean that you got a beep of some kind....this would merely confirm that the mobo was operational and was not the likely source of the problem.

At this stage I would rule out psu issues, you are using a barebones set up and as such using minimal power.

With barebones no HDD, opticals, floppy or any pci cards are used in the set up.

Try it that way and see what happens. If you have problems then use another known and working vga with the same set up.

Good Luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds