Laptop processor running half speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by extray, Aug 16, 2005.

1. extray

extray Private E-2

Recently my 3.06ghz Compaq laptop half its running speed to 1.59-1.6ghz. I've been to told theres no way to adjust the speed back to true runnign speed with Cmos. Can anyone help?

Thanks

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

I may be wrong about this, but that is a feature within the cpu. If the cpu notices that nothing really is taxing your machine, it will downclock to something lower. Until something starts taxing it, it will increase in speed. I believe this is a feature of Pentium M cpus.

I'd run prime'95 and see if your cpu increases in speed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime95

3. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Or try running it (the laptop) on AC power and then see what it shows.

4. extray

extray Private E-2

Nope the prime95 program didnt help. The laptop has always been running on AC power.

Any other solutions?

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

yep this one helps me and others to gain full speed from our laptop

SpeedswitchXP

both me and Steve ( Matacumbie ) noticed this on our Compaq laptops, the cpu on mains was still running at 800mhz-ish, when true speed should have been 2.2ghz ( we both have AMD64s ), checked out the Power Options in Control Panel and they didnt help at all until we both tried this app out and what ya know full speed if your on mains, has settings for Mains and Battery.

Check it out may help :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds