Win 98 blank screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmann2005, Jan 20, 2005.

1. jmann2005

jmann2005 Private E-2

I have a Gateway desktop older computer produced in 2000 16mb of ram, 7GB harddrive - pretty slow. I recently partitioned, formatted, and install Win. 98 2nd edition on this beast. I will leave the computer on over night with the case cover off, and when i get to it the next morning, the screen in blank with a little white line blinking in the upper hand corner. The hard drive, and basicly the whole computer gets hot, so many its just getting to hot? But i cant add anymore fans to it because Gateway is gay!!!! any help would be appricated!!!

jerrod

2. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

any PC that was produced even in the late 90s would have more than 16MB system memory (RAM), are you sure that is not he Video Memory? Make sure the fan on the CPU is working (also what kind of CPU do you have?)

Your PSU (Power Supply Unit) might be failing too, check the fan in the back of the case to see if it is working, etc.
    Provide more info if none of these were the cause...

3. jmann2005

jmann2005 Private E-2

The video is intergrated into the motherboard, I already installed the newest driver for the machine on gateway.com. There is no fan on the CPU, just a large heatsink. The only fan in the whole computer is for the power supply. I took the fan out of the power supply(really easy to take out - no i didnt zap myself!) and i cleaned it fully, I know it is running also. The Power supply does not have any extra open ends to add fans. The harddrive hums really load sometimes and it gets very hot!! I e-mailed gateway and they said it could be a system file corrupted, but i just partitioned, formatted, and re-installed windows, so i don't think it could be that. anymore ideas?

jerrod

4. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Since the CPU came with no fan but just a heatsink, I am assuming it is an older/slower pentium/celeron type CPU, in any case the lack of CPU and case fans would but extra burden and importance on the PSU (and how efficient it has to be). But if you are confident that the PSU is fine then I am thinking the HD is on its way out!...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds