Windows Management Error

Discussion in 'Software' started by KegMan51, Aug 8, 2005.

1. KegMan51

KegMan51 Private E-2

My friend has a computer running Windows 2000 Professional. Recently, he gets a lot of error popup windows saying "Winmgmt.exe Has Generated Errors and Will Be Closed by Windows". It keeps popping up and if you leave the computer for a while... when u come back there will be a bunch of them. I tried stopping Windows Management Instrumentation service but it wouldnt let me. Any Suggestions? Thanx in advance for any help.

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Try running sfc /scannow from Start -> Run.

3. KegMan51

KegMan51 Private E-2

I've tried doing that on two computer running windows 98 and it didnt work

4. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

What's that got to do with running the command on Windows 2000?

Winmgmt.exe is prone to corruption and infection by viruses. If the file is located anywhere other then the system32 folder it doesn't belong there.

Start by doing this thread to rule out that a virus is the cause of the problem.

Basic Spyware, Trojan And Virus Removal

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Not intending to butt in line here. :)

Another thing to try is the following:

Click Start, then run, then type in: services.msc (press enter)

When the service manager pops up, scroll down to Windows Management Instrumentation and select this. Next right click and select stop. A window may (will) pop up saying certain applications require this service, do you wish to stop them (or something like that), say yes. Once the service has stopped, do the following:

Click start, run, then type in: %systemroot%\system32\wbem\Repository (press enter)

First copy all the files and folders onto into a different directory labeled repository_backup. Next delete everything within the Repository directory.

Next, go back into service manager, and restart Windows Management Instrumentation. Does this fix your issue?

Another thing I'd do, is reboot the machine. After all of this is done.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  6. KegMan51

KegMan51 Private E-2

Thanx for the help, but ive tried that already and it wouldn't let me stop it

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

What about in safe mode?

Or you can always try the recovery console, yes windows 2000 has a recovery console.

8. KegMan51

KegMan51 Private E-2

Don't have any of the windows 2000 professional discs...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds