Backing up the Registry

Discussion in 'Software' started by cranky old lady, Aug 27, 2004.

1. cranky old lady

cranky old lady Private E-2

Hope this is the right Forum for this question. I have Windows XP Home ED SP1

After reading the specific articles from MSKnowledge Base: I installed the Backup Utility and was merrily on my way to backing up the Registry. Then I noticed that I would be downloading over 4hrs for a total of 400.000+ bytes! I take it you aren't suppose to use floppy discs for this task?

Or have I done something wrong? I have CRWrite but haven't learned how...and didn't want to right now. I made a folder on the C drive to back it up in. Someone did that once to backup my files while they upgraded something. Can I back up the Registry on my C drive and get to it if I need it? I should ask, what media is the fastest and easiest way to do back up the Registry? Cranky Again.

2. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

This is a case for ERUNT, Batman!

Get yerself over to http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1267.html
    and pick up your copy.

It's easy to use, and it even has the NTREGOPT program included, that will compact your registry (if you want it to) after you have used a reg cleaner to kill about umpteen thousand useless registry entries.

It's small, and it's (best of all) free, as software should be. Well, most of it.

3. cranky old lady

cranky old lady Private E-2

<<It's easy to use, and it even has the NTREGOPT program included, that will compact your registry (if you want it to) after you have used a reg cleaner to kill about umpteen thousand useless registry entries.>>

Not even the Batmobile is that fast! I couldn't believe how fast and easy everything was and I used the NTREGOPT programs also and got rid of a bunch of useless files like you said.

Thanks, cranky no longer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds