XP doesn't like networks.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Prophets21, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

XP is not good at networking imo. I've had several problems with networking on various computers running XP, mostly access denied errors for no reason. I and many other people have never found answers to this mysterious problem.

Microsoft have to make Vista better at networking. Instead of trying to dumb it down (which is what I fear), it should be more configurable.

2. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Not sure whether I'm replying to a troll, and what operating system you compare WinXP with. My feeling is there are too many options for the average user to handle :). Have helped many people who have applied "obscure" registry-settings in the promise of better performance/security, which at the same time blocked file Sharing.

Instead I would prefere a help tool that could determine what configuration-options that keeps "Simple File Sharing" from working.

3. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

wtf?

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

This is a tech support forum, not one for ranting, esp. without backing it up.

Hence his reply.

At any rate, I've yet to meet an XP machine I couldn't network. So, either I'm really good, or XP is just fine for networking. I think the latter.

If you have any particular problems, feel free to post them in the networking section, so you can receive help.

5. Paddy h

Paddy h Private E-2

I am having network problems using XP into an ethernet hub. All the client computers can comunicate but the host is not visible on the network (view workgroup) you cannot even see the host on the host's view workgroup. All are on the same work group, Ping finds the clients and host but name of host does not find anything. The host and clients all have internet via the host with no problem. This all went wrong following a re-install of windows and asssociated software. the wizard seems to run ok but there is no network connection. Repair network connection is unable to clear NetBT. Any ideas would be appreciated.

6. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Instead of highjacking a thread, then it is much easier if you create your own thread. Especially if all computers are in the same workgroup, have netbios-enabled, have File Sharing services installed, have the Computer Browser-service activated, have configured the server-service to be not hidden, and no misconfigured firewalls.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds