56K Dial Up Internal Modem problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deango, Mar 30, 2006.

1. deango

deango Private E-2

My modem is not exactly dropping connections because the double windows in the tray are still flashing, but after about five minutes the sent and receive numbers don't change. After a few tries I get a 'cannot find server' error. Should I change modems? I have a US Robotics 56K Pro Fax/Modem 5610B installed (in 2001) and a new US Robotics 5699B that I got at Walmart.
    I've had at least three ISP's in five years and it the same problem exists with all of them, so I don't think it is the Internet Service Providers fault.
    The problem has been more frequent recently.
    Could someone give me a direction to head in? Thanks folks.
    deango

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Have you checked your phoneline quality with your phone provider, you may have a dirty line which will randomly cut you off, loose/corrupt data etc.. they can run tests.

Is your PC close to the phone socket or do you use an extention cable, if extention cable, try a test and have your CP modem phone cable directly plugged into the phone socket as exention cables are known to degrade the signal.

Which Windows or OS version you using, is it upto date, driver and software wise?

Do you periodically delete your temp internet files and cookies, as they can becomw corrupt and give "page not found errors"?

Have you scanned for Virus's/Malware?

3. deango

deango Private E-2

Hi Halo. Thanks for your comprehensive response.
    I am running WinXP. All MS critical and other downloads are current.
    My modem is plugged directly into the wall jack behind my computer.
    I have a 15 point program for cleaning my computer monthly and I do weekly incremental backups with the basic tools of running my anti-virus program, Spybot,SpywareBlaster,CW Shredder, HighJack This and the professional AdAware 6.
    This includes emptying the IE history,cache and cookies. Closing Outlook Express/File/Folder/Compact all folders.
    I have an automatic update feature for the US Robotics modem and it is current. I guess all that is left is to call the dreaded useless phone company Qwest. They always say it is my system but we have found glitches in the outside line on two occassions.....Thanks again. deango

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Thanks for the detailed reply Deango, I have one more suggestion for you it can help on occasion where you see "page not found errors"

this is to delete the DNS Reslover Cache, this cache holds DNS data or basically the IP addresses of recient URLs if some of these have become corrupt or also known as negative entries you can see issues like yours while accessing pages.

to flush this cache you will need to goto,

Start > Run > and type or cut and paste the bold text ipconfig /flushdns then click OK or hit enter, then try the net again.

or its hassle your phone company again, other things to test or try before calling them so you are armed with some reponces are.

Unplug all phones in the house appart from the PCs connection.
    When you pick up your phone reciever do you hear a crackly line or is it clear sounding?

crackly sound is a dirty phoneline in which phone companies can adjust the line gain to clean up the signal, doesnt work in all cases.. depends on distance from exchange and if the cables are old.

5. deango

deango Private E-2

Thanks Halo ! I will flush the cache and get back to you.
    I have a dedicated line for just this Windows based computer and an Emac downstairs. Nothing else uses this line. It was put in about two years ago.
    I got a diagnostic from Earthlink to check for 'noise' on the line and it comes up positive. I have been on the phone with Quest all morning. Customer service says as long as I have dial-up I will always have 'noise'. They tried to transfer me to 'Repair' but dropped the transfer. I'll call direct later.
    Ya just have to keep at 'em don'tcha..........deango

6. deango

deango Private E-2

To Halo.
    I may be reading your instructions incorrectly for the IE flush. Start/Run enter the text 'ipconfig /flushdns' in bold. I did that (and also lower case) but all I see is a flash of the Command Prompt with a single line I don't have time to read.

I talked to the Quest Repair again and they said the line was clear from their end. They would send a tech to check the line from the outside box to the transformer but if it was clear I would be billed $85 bucks! I plugged a land phone into the outside box and am sure I hear a distant buzz behind the dial tone, but I sure as hell can't afford $85 bucks if they want lie about it. US Robotics says its not the modem but probably in the browser and to reinstall IE. But most techs say that when they don't know what else to do.
    I did get some advise from Earthlink KB to to effect that LIne noise is causing modem to lose carrier signal. Reset the initialization string from S10 to 255 which I have done. Rebooted and switched to my Maxthor browser and so far I'm still online........Maybe it IS IE 6......Thanks. deango

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds