starts up and shuts down 5 secs later

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eagerinsight, Aug 3, 2005.

1. eagerinsight

eagerinsight Private E-2

My sisters crappie emachine she bought from Wal-Mart is not working. When you push the on switch on the front, the lights turn on and the computer acts like it is starting up. Then after 3 seconds the light turn off and everything on the computer dies, the fans stop spins and the computer acts like it lost power. I thought it was a power supply problem so I replaced it and still have the same issue. What is causing the computer to shutdown so suddenly?

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

With my recent experience, sounds like the motherboard. Do any lights come on on the motherboard, as in ram light, agp light etc?

3. eagerinsight

eagerinsight Private E-2

no lights on the notherboard light but the activity light on the case lights till it shutsdown.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

More specs please read the announcement at the top of the page,has coffee been spilled on the front lately,or keyboard,try gently,slowly pushing in the power on switch,as soon as the comp fires let go,try a different keyboard also. :)

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Heat can also cause this to happen. Is the CPU fan running? Is the computer dusty?

6. eagerinsight

eagerinsight Private E-2

i tried to start it up with and without a keyboard. still nothing, could it be a cpu heat issue? i know when the cpu gets too hot it shutsdown maybe that is the cause. I cleans the heatsink and the fan but noticed there wasn't alot of paste, haven't replaced the paste yet, but stil is not working

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds