office 97 word saves files with only 1 character name.

Discussion in 'Software' started by orangeclyde, Jan 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orangeclyde

orangeclyde Private E-2

Running Office 97 in compatibility mode on a Toshiba Laptop using XP Home version. For some reason Word suddenly shifted to saving files using only the first character of whatever name I use to save it. Ex: 'Test'.doc becomes 'T'.doc. It will show all the previous saved files with their full name, but even if you open them and try resaving them with a different name, same truncated save. Excell and powerpoint do just fine, WordPerfect does ok also. Have tried unloading and reloading, changing the normal.dot file, using eraser and cleaning out the registry, deleting the files directory and subdirectory. Am frustrated and almost out of letters and numbers to save files. Would appreciate any ideas on this one. THANKS!

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Didnt find much on the KB...

Have you tried it in a different user account?

3. Batman68

Batman68 Private E-2

Hi.
    I am experiencing the same problem with Word 97. Each time I try to save a document, it just shows up with the first character, followed by the .doc-extension. All my entries like username or company also show up with their first character only.
    And to get things more complicated - it doesn't work on my administration's account, but it works absolutely perfect on my other account.

any solutions highly appreciated.

Thanks

@orangeclyde
    What's the KB, by the way?

4. keith676

keith676 Private E-2

Hi
    We found this problem with a PC running XP and Word97. It can be fixed by finding the Winword.exe file, usually in ProgramFiles\Office and then right click choose properties. Select the compatability tab and remove the tick in compatability mode. The backwards compatability causes the problem :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds