rundll32.exe

Discussion in 'Software' started by 99xray, Apr 13, 2008.

1. 99xray

99xray Private E-2

Please help! I inadvertently deleted the good run32dll.exe and now I can't get anything but the internet to work.:eek:

2. Clinetyme

Clinetyme Private First Class

3. 99xray

99xray Private E-2

I saved it on my desktop but how do I get it into my system 32? Also everyhing I open wants to know what I want to use to open it up with. I think I did this poor laptop in now.

4. 99xray

99xray Private E-2

When I try to open it so I can put it where it needs to be I get the message
    C:\Documen 1\owner\locals 1\temp\temporary directory 5 for rundll32_xp.zip\rundll32.exe
    Application not found

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You'll need a file 'unzipper' type of program if the built-in Windows XP file extractor isn't working. First, right click on the .zip file and select Extract All. Then click Next a few times until it's done. When it's done you should have an open window that shows the .dll file. Leave it open and open My Computer; double click drive C: and double click the Windows folder. Scroll down until you can see the System32 folder. Now switch back to the open window with the .dll file; right click on it and select Copy. Switch back to the window with the System32 folder in it and right click on the System32 folder and select Paste. That's it. If the file won't extract, you'll need to use TUGZip or 7Zip or another archiving type of utility. There is a portable version of 7Zip that doesn't require installation if you're leary of installing new programs.
    TUGZip (my personal favorite) http://www.majorgeeks.com/TUGZip_d4670.html
    7Zip http://www.majorgeeks.com/7-Zip_d4603.html
    Portable 7Zip http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/7-zip_portable
    All are 100% free to download and use...

6. Clinetyme

ya...what they said......lol.....guess i was a lil late gettin back....excellent posts guys!!!!

7. 99xray

99xray Private E-2

The computer is still aksing me what to use to open a file therefore I can't open anything, download, or save

8. Clinetyme

can u access ur e-mail, can u download and save from your e-mail?

9. 99xray

99xray Private E-2

I can't even do a system restore because it asks me what I want to use to open it with and no matter what I choose it doesn't open it
    I cant open my spyware and adware stuff, I can't open iTunes.
    Please help

10. 99xray

99xray Private E-2

yes I can get on the interent and save from my e-email to my desktop then open what i'v saved

11. Clinetyme

e-mail me and i will send u the unzipped rundll32.exe, all u have to do then is copy and paste it in ur windows system32 folder, it may ask u to over write....do the over write....i need to know what OS ur running....

treeclimber614@yahoo.com

12. 99xray

99xray Private E-2

Thank you for your help that worked for at least getting the rundll back into system 32...but when i try to open a program, say itunes, it says application not found and when i go into add/remove or one of those folders it still wants me to chose which program i want to use to open it with. I also con't get into regedit..it wants to know what to open it with

13. Clinetyme

1 last thing i can think of......did u try starting in safe mode?......id give that a shot and try the system restore from there, if that fails maybe dlb can help u from there.....hes the pro...im just an average "joe".......lol.......gl!!!

14. 99xray

99xray Private E-2

i'll try that, i was in safe mode earlier but did not try system restore there.
    How do i get dlb involved?
    again thank you so much

15. Clinetyme

u might wanna try a private message to him, just click his name and u'll c the options, hes helped me in many occasions. Hes usually on top of all the posts he might just pop in........best of luck!!!!!

16. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

@ 99xray: I got your PM... try doing a system restore in safe mode. I'm not sure if it works in safe mode but try running Dial-A-Fix. It's a free download http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4899.html Check all the boxes in the registration center and click Go. Let it run, if you get any errors, post them here. What has happened is your file associations have been altered/corrupted/removed. Here's a Microsoft article about file associations: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859/en-us If you can run things from the Run command, here's the command for launching system restore %SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe. If you can get into the control panel, go to Folder Options and click the File Types tab; click Advanced; click New; click Advanced; Type .exe in the box and 'Application' should appear in the drop-down menu box. It might take a second or two, so wait a bit. If Application doesn't appear, click the downward pointing arrow and select Application and click OK. This should fix your .exe files so they will run. Here's another Microsoft article that may help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560/en-us. It has MANY helpful tips so you might want to print it out and go through each step that sounds like it will be helpful. Here's one that says a worm/virus may be the cause of your woes, and it shows a fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837334/en-us. Here's another article with some general how-to links that could be very useful http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308549/en-us. You could also try the system file checker. Click Start > Run and type cmd and press Enter; it should open a black command prompt window. Type sfc /purgecache and press Enter. This shouldn't take too long, maybe up to 2 minutes. When it's done, put your XP disc in the CD drive and click Exit when the big blue XP window opens. In the command prompt window, type sfc /scannow and press Enter. This step can take a long time, so be patient. If you get a prompt to insert your XP CD (even though it's in the drive) click Retry. If this comes up alot and you have a 2nd CD drive, move the disc to the other drive and click Retry. Let it do it's thing. When it's done, type exit and press Enter and reboot the PC. Note that there is a space between the "sfc" and the slash / in the commands.
    Phew....
    There's a bunch of stuff to try. Try the stuff in the Microsoft articles first. Read through them all carefully and do what they say, carefully. If none of that works, try my suggestions. But be aware that I will not accept any responsibility for any further problems that may arise from the use or misuse of any suggestions I have offered. I have personally used all the suggestions numerous times and never had any ill results, but s**t happens. Dial-A-Fix has always proven itself safe and a great tool; you can check every box if you want. If you click on the little hammer button, you'll get a second menu of fixes with descriptions of each; try a few that sound the most likely.
    If you could at some point post the exact error message you get, word-for-word, it would be easier to locate a fix if nothing here helps.

GOOD LUCK!

:major
    [dlb]

Sorry that all the stuff above seems kind of random; I was typing stuff as I researched it and as it came to mind and I didn't take the time to organize it. It not a step-by-step nor are any of the tips in any particular order, that's why I suggest doing the Microsoft stuff first, then try the other things.

I know it's alot to look at, but be patient and careful and methodical and it should all be OK. You could always do a repair install too ya know ;)

Be sure to let us know how things go, and tell us what works, what doesn't, and the exact error messages you get, if any.

:tired That wore me out... :tired :zzz I'm off to bed. :wave :tired G'Nite! :zzz :zzz

17. 99xray

99xray Private E-2

I just want to say thank you so much for all your help!... We were not given any type of backup cd for this system including Windows XP (we were told it is embedded somewhere in the dark corners of this laptop and only service could access it, what a scam!!!!!!) so any type of complete wipe out and restart was out of the question because I don't have anything to start it up with, and I couldn't put the disc in to fill in the missing whatever it was missing so it was beginning to look like a very grim future for this computer. I tried one last time to start up in safe mode to do a system restore and I don't know if it was some of the things I had been trying, wih your help, did something somewhere but it finally let me do a system restore which actually worked!!!!!! I wasn't so hopeful about system restore though 'cause in the past it hasn't worked for me and I've had to go the long way around to fix the problem. OMG:D I am so glad to have this laptop back!!!!!!
    Thank you again:hyper

18. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:highfive I'm glad to hear that the laptop is back and running. :celebrate Good job! Hopefully something in that novel I posted earlier helped. ;)
    You should really consider buying an XP disc. If you have a product key sticker on the bottom of the laptop, be sure to buy the same version as is listed on the sticker. If a friend has a full version CD, maybe you can copy it and use your product key for future installs. If they have an OEM copy of Windows (like from Dell or HP) it may not work correctly for your model of laptop so keep that in mind. Not having the XP disc greatly limited your repair options in this case, and having it would have made life quite a bit less stressful.

:major
    [dlb]

19. Clinetyme

I too am happy for u!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds