BIOS Settings for Dell Dimension 8400

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kraston, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Kraston

Kraston Private E-2

I am looking for anyone that might be using a Dell Dimension 8400 and be willing to share their current BIOS settings with me. Keeping a long story short...I forgot that my computer was already on and pushed the Power Button instead of shutting the system down properly. Anyway I messed things up and could not get the computer to start up. I decided to reset the CMOS chip and then I went into the BIOS and set everything back to the factory default settings. My system will boot up, but only in Windows XP safe mode. I think I may need to go back into my BIOS and make some changes, but don't know for sure. I attempted to do a system restore with no luck. Here's some info on my current system:

BIOS Version A09 7/7/06
    Processor type: Intel(r) Pen(r)4 CPU 3.00ghz
    Clock Speed: 3.0ghz
    Processor Bus Speed: 800 mhz
    Processor L2 cache: 1 MB
    Processor L3 cache: 0
    Processor I.D.: 0F34
    64 Bit Tech: No
    Hyperthreading Cap: Yes
    Installed Memory: 1 GB
    Mem Sped: 400 Mhz
    Memory Channel Mode: Dual Interleaved
    Memory Tech; DDR2 SDRAM

SATA Operation set for RAID Autodetect/AHCI
    LPT P:eek:rt Address: 378h (default)
    Drive 1: Off
    Drive 2: Off
    Drive 3: Off

Hard Drive: Western Digital WD1600 WD Caviar Serial ATA
    WMAL91820564, Date: 11 Sep 2004, Rev A00

Intel Chip PW82801FR F4293075 SL79N MC03

Phoenix ROM BIOS Plus Ver 1.10 A09

(For whatever it is worth I get four solid green lights on the back side of the computer)

Appreciate any thoughts or comments you may have. I'm using this Dell 8400 as a learning/teaching device and finding it to be a real challenge for this senior citizen.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

The BIOS settings shouldn't effect safe mode versus regular mode.

In safe mode go to My Computer and right-click C: drive. Select Properties and then under the Tools tab select error checking. Leave the first box ticked and hit the Check Now button or Ok button. It will schedule for next boot. Reboot and the chkdsk will run. See if it will boot in normal mode.

3. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

The BIOS will not normally cause Windows to boot into "Safe Mode.

Try pressing F8 at startup, right after the Dell splashscreen, and that should bring up a boot option menu. You can then select "Start Windows normally".

Let us know.

And, welcome to the Forum! :)

4. Kraston

Kraston Private E-2

Appreciate comments provided by both Mekanic and Sach2. I attempted both of your recommendations with no luck. I was able to get into Safe Mode and ran the CHKDSK both no problems. I booted the system up again and still was unable to get into Windows XP in the Normal mode. I went back into Safe Mode and was able to explore my Hard Drive, but when I tryed to get into my Control Panel the screen turned BLUE with the following message: C000021A Hard Error.

I will try and look up this code tomorrow after getting some sleep.

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Kraston...

Referencing the 'C000021A Hard Error', this MS KB article might shed some light...

You don't happen to have pcAnywhere (or any other type of remote control software) installed, do you? I ask because of the recent Symantec hacking scare, and because the MS KB article specifically mentions the following:

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I was sure I posted this.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316503
    In safe mode, check if GoBack or Norton System Works is installed. If either appears, read through the Resolution section of the article.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds