Failed installation of Artec cd-rw pc wont boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BrokenArrows, Nov 6, 2004.

1. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

Hi,
    i recently tried to install a Artec 52x32x52 CD-RW on a pc.
    I set it up as the master and removed the old cd-rom. Im almost positive all the conections are correct.
    When i turned the computer on the pc made a series of beeps and the light on the monitor and keyboard just flashes. The computer remains in this state and does nothing else.

I put the old cd-rom back the way it was to begin with. But this same me the same result as above.

Then i freaked and decided to disconnect all the cd drives and have none at all but this gave me that same result again. This should not be!!

Have i somehow totally wrecked the pc. And hopefully if i havent how can i get it working again.

pc specs

Win 2k Pro
    I dont know the other specs cause the owner is a muppet and dosent know his computer.

2. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

nevermind i fixed it

3. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Do you mind sharing what you did to fix it and what the problem was? :)

4. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

ya no problem

I noticed that everytime the computer started i got 1 short and 2 long beeps. i looked this up on the net and for a compaq this beep code stands for a ram error. so i took out the ram and put it back in and bingo pc working again

full list of beep codes
    http://kb.indiana.edu/data/afzy.html?cust=955518.92742.30

5. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

You must have bumped it while installing the drive. Man been there before. lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds