vertical lines on my monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thegoddessp, Dec 10, 2006.

1. thegoddessp

thegoddessp Private E-2

I bought my HP laptop in March of 05. It's an zd8000, and I bought the accidental damage warranty. I recently took a trip to DC and brought my laptop with me. After about a week into my trip, I saw thin vertical pink line on my monitor. I didn't drop the laptop and kept it in the hotel room the entire time I was there. Now, it's several weeks later, and I've got more vertical lines on my pc. See pic below.
    [​IMG]
    I am guessing that either monitor of the video card is going bad. Could this be caused by accidental damage? :confused: I purchased an accidental warranty plan; they didn't offer any warranty for any sort of damage due to wear and tear. I'm actually kind of hoping that's accidental damage b.c. the manufacturer warranty expired and I know that replacing a video card or motherboard is not cheap. I can't afford costly repairs, much less to buy a new laptop.

2. Baselerd

Baselerd Private First Class

First of all, try hooking up your laptop to another monitor to see if its your videocard. If it is still there, there may be a problem with your horizontal deflection circuit. If your warranty doesnt cover this, you can turn it into a repair shop, but don't let them charge you more than $75-$80, because they may try to rip u off. However, I think this problem has been caused alot in Toshiba satellites, it's a common defect. :-\

3. thegoddessp

thegoddessp Private E-2

Thank you for your help. Well, HP has said they will fix it. I am hoping that they will fix it right the first time. I had to send it back about 6 weeks after I got it for a bad battery and took them at least 6 weeks and sending it back 3x before they finally figured out they gave me a bad battery.
    Good to know how much it will cost to have it fixed though if HP decides that they are not going to cover it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds