realtek sound driver problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by folktastic, Oct 21, 2010.

1. folktastic

folktastic Private E-2

Hi. I've been having some serious problems with the sound on this laptop. I installed the realtek hd audio drivers from the website and the sound worked, but when i opened the laptop up the next day the sound stopped working. My everest report is attached below.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Attached Files:

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I see you're still using SP2 for Windows XP... this is a common problem with HD audio drivers. First - uninstall your current drivers. Second - download KB888111 (it's Microsoft's official UAA HD audio update), you can get it free from this link. Do not install it yet. Third - download a new Realtek HD Audio driver from this link. Do not install it. Fourth - download TUGzip from this link, if you already have WinRAR or 7zip installed, you do not need TUGzip, otherwise, install it: When installing TUGzip just click 'Next' all the way through. At the end of the install, there will be a little check-box for "Launch TUGzip"; go ahead and launch it; click "Next" all the way through again until you see a "Finish" button; there will be a column on the left side with a bunch of different archive formats; click the "Select All" button; click "Finish". A window will open that looks like an Explorer-type window, close it. Fifth - right click on the RealTek driver you downloaded a little while ago, select the 2nd upward pointing green arrow; it should say something like "Extract to : \filename"; this will extract the driver to a folder so we don't have to launch it to install it. If you use WinRAR or 7zip or something else, extract the Realtek driver to a folder; it should be called WDM_R253 after extracting. Sixth - install KB888111 that you downloaded a little while ago; if the hardware wizard opens, leave it open until the KB888111 install has finished; click "Finish" in the final window of the KB888111 install. Seventh - using the open hardware wizard window (if it's not open, no worries, just keep reading), follow the steps in this thread to install the sound driver; you can skip the first part about extracting the file since we did that already; in steps 6 & 7 in that thread, you'll "point" the wizard to WDM_253\WDM which is the folder named "WDM" inside the extracted Realtek folder "WDM_253". Eighth - once the sound driver has finished installing, reboot the PC.

Phew! That should do it. If it still doesn't work, I strongly recommend that you uninstall the sound driver, install SP3 for Windows XP (a free download from this link), then follow the same steps I listed except skip the KB888111 steps.

GOOD LUCK!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds