fan on laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pantah, Apr 2, 2012.

1. pantah

pantah Private E-2

Hi all,

My son dreamed of a laptop and I got one for free from a friend of mine, an Asus a6r. However, there are a few problems on it and one of them is that the lcd-screen drops out, sometimes after a few seconds from starting up the system and sometimes it just keeps working. That's probably a cable-problem but what worries me is that the fan also grinds to a halt after a few seconds after the start-up button is applied and doesn't seem to restart after a while. My question is: does the fan on a laptop is supposed to be working continuously or does it only kick in when the cpu gets too hot? I have absolutely no experience with laptops (only desktops in this house so far) so forgive me this probably stupid question. From what I know this far about computers, a cpu should be cooled at all times. Correct me if I'm wrong... so I ask the experts here: does this issue need checking before I concentrate on the screen problem? And if so, what càn I check? Thanks for your support.

2. pantah

pantah Private E-2

Thanks Gloozit. I had allready discovered that video and some others and they're a great help. I have no trouble dis- and reassembling desktops but laptops are kinda new to me, but that's where the challenge is;)
    I think I will connect an external screen and then install pc-wizard to check how the cpu-temperature evolves. This will also give me the change to check all settings in BIOS allthough I think these haven't been changed. The former owner of the laptop was a complete nitwit so I don't even think he had any idea how to get to the BIOS-platform:-D

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

4. pantah

pantah Private E-2

Great Rikky, I'll try that out and will let you know;)

5. pantah

pantah Private E-2

Didn't get a chance yet to run those tests as the battery ran down when trying and I'm still waiting to get the power adapter. Hope it didn't get lost or anything but my son comes over tonight and he's got an Asus laptop so I can borrow his adapter to get mine goin again.

6. pantah

pantah Private E-2

I managed to istall the speedfan-application and cpu reaches around 50°C which appears to be normal (Intel Celeron). I could not complete the IntelBurnTest however due to error 0xc0000135 which would mean I have to install .NET? When trying to do so, battery ran flat again so it's another wait till my son comes round again. Thanks for your help sofar!

7. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds