Ms--chkdsk

Discussion in 'Software' started by scottshad, Sep 15, 2008.

1. scottshad

scottshad Private First Class

I am using XP Media, today I did a scan check (CHKDSK) and when it got to stage 4 of 5 ---verifying File date, it told me the following " Windows replaced bad clusters in file 50056 Name\DOCUME~1\ADMIN~1\LOCAL~1\APPLIC~1\GOOGLE\GOOGLE~1\O1C1CA\dbu2d.ht1
    I got no idea what all this means. Would someone be kind to explain this.
    By the way everything in Stages 1,2,3,5 were all ok.
    thank you in advance

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Scott

Bad clusters generally link to a hard drive that is now starting to experience hardware errors, if it was lost clusters as the error then that would have not been as bad, as the data could just be corrupt.

Run the scan again to double check its not an error/wrong message or run HDTunes Error Check

You possibly wouldnt have used an image backup from another HD and Windows install on a new HD? if so then the image would have transfered the mad cluster markers, so would just now likely be fixed if you ran a scan again.

3. scottshad

Hi David,
    OK, I will do the scan again since I am not familar with the program that you suggested..
    I get back with you as soon as it is done
    Thank you
    scott

4. DavidGP

Hi Scott

No probs. That app is one I use a fair bit to test old spare drives of mine before I op them into PCs, works similar to chkdsk and does a surface scan, below is the bit to run, will take a fair while to check a large HD

[​IMG]

5. scottshad

David
    I ran the CHKDSK again and every thing was normal.
    I am not sure if I understand what you said the problem may be. Are you saying my hard drive may be going?
    I think there is a DrWatson program on this laptop, if so should I run it?
    If you think I should run your suggested program tell me and I will!!!
    thanks David..

6. scottshad

I downloaded the HD Tune 225 (sound like it should be a tv or music program)
    I just done a quick scan and it came back all green.
    I am doing a full scan, I get back with you after that.
    scott

7. scottshad

there is one block that is red, but it says on theright side "damage Blocks 0.0%. So what does that mean?
    Also my temp is at 51C is that high?
    I tried to post the picture of this thing, but....... I can't figured it out. All the health says "OK"...
    Should I do the benchmark thing?
    Thanks

8. DavidGP

Hi Scott

Generally bad blocks are a sign of a HD in the early stages of death, but actually sounds as if yours is either chkdsk not reporting 100% correctly or in some instances it fixes the issue, the red block could well be that actual file that was listed dbu2d.ht1 being corrupt.

I would just monitor it over the next week or so and run chkdsk and HDTune each week or so to see if this changes, but do backup your important files in case.

Benchmark you can do but may not show much of a bad block or corrupted sector, it just gives you an idea of the transfer speeds of your HD

As for temp is this a laptop? if so depending on surface they are on, how clean the insides or vents are, and how long and how hot the ambient temp in your room is, could aim the HD to that sort of temp. Temp on mine was from a HD in my laptop when it had only been on a few minutes and on a wooden surface in a cool room, but have seen my laptops HD hit temps in the 50s.

9. scottshad

the laptop is on a wooden table, and the temp has gone up to 51 C. but the fan comes on, and the temp slowly goes down.

OK, I will check like you said. If something arises I wll do a post.

Thank you very much for help!

scott

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds