Auslogics vs. CCCleaner

Discussion in 'Software' started by anon_private, Sep 21, 2013.

1. anon_private

anon_private Private First Class

Hi,

I have used cccleaner with some success.

I note that 'Major Geeks' is recommending Auslogics. I know that this is a good utility, but how does it compare to cccleaner?

Thanks

Ps. As a matter of interest what does Private E-2 mean (the E-2 bit)?

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I use both Auslogics Disk Defrag (is this what you mean?) and CCleaner as well. They're for different purposes. Auslogics defragments your hard drive(s) and CCleaner removes junk files (the last time I used it, it removed 308MB).

The rankings are based on the number of posts you've made and they go in a military order — Private E-2 (Enlisted [you've enlisted in Major Geeks army]), Private First Class, Corporal, etc. — this is, after all, "Major Geeks". ;)

3. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Hey guys, may I also add that if you are referring to Auslogics BoostSpeed, that is a whole utility suite consisting of various system utilities, defrag, reg cleaner, settings modifying and other tools. I too use Ccleaner and Auslogics Disk Defrag, and I find that it is a very useful and perfect combination.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Private is the rank for an Army enlisted person after completing basic training. The corresponding pay grade is E-2.

5. anon_private

I was actaully referring to the two registry cleaners: Auslogics Registry Cleaner vs CCCleaner. Do they serve the same function, to the same extent?. Does one appear to be more effective, etc.

6. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

I have used both registry cleaners that you mentioned, and both seemed to find the same "errors". I have never had a problem with either one but I feel that Ccleaner is always the safest to use. Also, I never cleaner the registry too often, unless you install and uninstall alot of software, those leftover registry keys are rather harmless.

7. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Why do people still think that "registry cleaners" are a good thing?

8. mdonah

As you can see from the attached screenshots, there are differences between the two. Auslogics is a separate program while the registry cleaner is built into CCleaner. I've never used Auslogics Registry Cleaner but with both apps you can back up the registry before making changes so you can restore it later should problems arise.

I, personally, have been using CCleaner for junk file removal AND registry cleaning but Auslogics Disk Defrag to defrag and optimize my hard drives. I think the combination of the two programs is a winning combination.

Attached Files:

9. mdonah

Shortly after posting my last reply, I ran Auslogics Registry Cleaner. It modified or removed the repair/uninstall feature of many of my Windows Updates.

I undid the Auslogics changes and then ran CCleaner's registry cleaner without Windows Updates being affected.

I'm sticking with CCleaner and uninstalling Auslogics Registry Cleaner.

10. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> I was actually referring to the two registry cleaners: Auslogics Registry Cleaner vs CCleaner. Do they serve the same function, to the same extent?. Does one appear to be more effective, etc. anon_private <<

Having tested both of these programs on numerous occasions in the past; it is my belief is that CCleaner is (most importantly) the "safer" and more effective of the two as well, where registry cleaning is concerned, as well. In fact, CCleaner is probably the best "free" registry cleaner program I've ever tested. It's incredibly easy to use and automatically prompts users to backup the registry before it makes changes at all, and the software also includes a number of other useful tools. A thorough reading of the online HELP files would also help you to get the most out if it. This is particularly true for those who want to alter the original and "standard" CCleaner settings included and initiated by the author (after you initially install the program).

Side Note: For anyone who may be reading this thread; but has not yet tried Auslogics Registry Cleaner (but might want to try it out): During the original installation process, Auslogics Registry Cleaners setup file tries to install a browser toolbar and make changes to your browser's home page. Be sure to uncheck those options if you're not interested. Also, you might want to completely ignore this program's somewhat sneaky (and somewhat clandestine) thoroughly useless "system status" check up 'selling' feature after the registry cleaning is complete.

Good Luck! - COMP

11. anon_private

Thanks to all for the information.

CCleaner is the one to use.
    Glad to hear that mdonah rectified his problem (must have been a disappointment).

Good thread

Best wishes,

A

12. mdonah

I agree with you 100% about CCleaner and the "System Status Checkup" in Auslogics. As far as the "Third Party" software associated with Auslogics, it apparently depends on where you get the installer from. I downloaded mine from MG's and didn't have the "Third Party" software issue.

But when I ran Auslogics, it "found" 661 registry issues as compared with CCleaner finding 61 even after undoing the Auslogics changes.

The Windows/Microsoft Updates changes made by Auslogics were reported by Bill P. Studio's Win Patrol Plus which I also run. — I wasn't comfortable with Auslogics.

13. bigpygme

bigpygme Private E-2

If you have a primary SSD, I'd say they're not.

if you have a traditional HDD ... you wouldn't believe the mess the hives evolve into without help.

If you're selective about what you ask Auslogics to do, it won't mess you up. At least, I've never had a problem with it. Same for CCleaner - you ought to review what it's doing and what's Checked before you run it (or any other utility, for that matter. Don't assume the program defaults are what you want just because the developer thought so).

Michael

14. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

The registry on a SSD doesn't become defragmented any less than a registry on a HDD, so that's a moot point.

CCleaner is a much less aggressive registry cleaner than many others, including Auslogics. As mdonah has shown, aggressively cleaning the registry can lead to potentially serious problems. Even if you get to review what these cleaners intend to clean, how many of the entries include CLSID keys such as:

{4CE485DD-C395-46C4-A929-7B771D8A5655}

and other keys that are impossible to decipher unless one researches them? Even then it may not be possible for the average (even advanced) user to understand what's being deleted. Who cares if a 150 MB database has a few dozen (or even a few hundred) harmless dead twigs in it?

I think we all have some notion of how profoundly a screwed up registry can affect a computer system. Why risk screwing it up to "fix" a bunch of inert "problems"? You also have to have a lot of blind faith in the programmer of the reg cleaner, who may or may not be adequately knowledgeable in the intricacies of the Windows registry.

I just leave well enough alone.

15. bigpygme

bigpygme Private E-2

I completely agree with at least one of your primary points, RustySavage: "aggressively cleaning the registry can lead to potentially serious problems." It's why i suggested being careful, examining the Default settings and making choices, and being careful. (I know I said that twice.) You don't have to let the Auslogics Reg Cleaner delete Windows Update data.

Also agree that you do not want to deal with a screwed-up Registry. So back up the Registry. Always. It's stupid not to.

I understand your point of view about "Who cares if a 150 MB database has a few dozen (or even a few hundred) harmless dead twigs in it?" Still, there's a reason CCleaner and other similar utilities are so popular, and it might just go beyond the notion that they're only used by people who don't know any better. I think it does.

I have run utilities like these for a very long time and have never had any problem as a result. I just don't like leftover junk floating around in there. That's just me. That doesn't make me right - it's just an opinion, and my preference.

To be safe from 3rd party intrusions, I only download these programs from MG (go MG ! ), and I always choose Custom Install for everything to see what's going on.

BTW, as an aside, Fred Langa has posted a great scrip to enhance MS's own clean-up manager so that it it's much more effective - it's like putting cleanmgr on steroids. (I know that's not for the Registry, I'm just sayin' ... )

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds