Not Malware

Discussion in 'Software' started by rangeno, Nov 17, 2006.

1. rangeno

rangeno Private First Class

I have been on the malware forum the past few days. After running through scans and posting results it was determined that my log files were clean and that I ask for help here. My computer only boots in safe mode and it runs very slow. I'm not really sure how to proceed but I would appreciate any help and direction I could get. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

What os are you running? How much ram ...other system spec.'s ....?

3. rangeno

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2. I looked at one of the scans I ran from the malware forum and that said Windows XP version 5.1.2600.
    Celeron 2.8GHz with 348MB RAM.

4. TimW

Is that a typo, or do you have 36 mg's of ram running your video card?

5. rangeno

Where can I look to see that?

6. TimW

7. rangeno

Sorry...I'm on 2 computers and the one that has the problem is only downloading 5kb / sec and I have a cable modem.

8. candle_86

candle_86 Private E-2

ok first remove all driver files from the computer in question. reboot and see if that works, if not uninstall SP2 yes uninstall it, if that does not work try a windows repair

9. TimW

Have you tried in safe mode? Any errors reported in device manager? (! or ? or X)

10. rangeno

40GB Hard drive but I don't see anything called RAM. I know what it is but I can't find it. I can only work on that computer in safe mode.

11. TimW

Right click My Computer and choose properties ...that will say what your ram is ...then in the everest report ...it will show system memory ..slot1, slot2 etc and tell you how much ram is in each slot ...if it is 384 ...then one/256 and one at 128 ...

12. rangeno

I closed EVEREST and now I can't open it again.

When I right click it says exactly:

System:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

Registered to:
    My Name

xxxxxxxxxxxxx (serial #)

Intel(R)
    Celeron(R) CPU 2.80 GHz
    2.80GHz, 384 MB RAM

13. rangeno

Here is the EVEREST report.

Attached Files:

14. TimW

You have 512 mg's of ram ...two 256 sticks ....one or both are faulty ...

15. rangeno

Thanks Tim...Is that why my computer is messed up? What should I do?

16. TimW

Remove one stick of ram ...see if it is reported as 256 ...and if all runs well ...then swap it with the other ...(shut down, unplug and swap..then reboot).

If you are still not sure of the results ...
    Memtest
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/MemTest_d350.html

17. rangeno

Tim, I'm not sure how to do that. I should probably go get an external drive to back everything up right?

18. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

You don't have to back up to change RAM. Look at this generic how-to. Basically you would remove the outermost RAM stick, restart your computer and see how much RAM is reported. If 256 then that stick is good, less than that stick is bad. Then go back and remove the that stick and put the other stick in the first slot and restart and see how much RAM is reported. One of the two sticks should be reporting less than 256 RAM.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_ram.htm

If you have manual from your manufacturer there should be a brief description in it. HP manuals are available on line.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  19. rangeno

Thank you...I've been running mem test 3.5 and it found no errors after running 564%. Should I stop the memtest?

20. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

TimW knows much more than I about those test programs. I just posted to let you know changing RAM was not a major project.

21. rangeno

Thanks for the help!!!

22. rangeno

How long should I run the mem test? it's at 1,689% now.

23. TimW

Should run for a few hours....at least 6 to 8 passes. Are you doing this with both sticks or just one?

24. rangeno

I'm doing it with both. I started to run it while we were discussing taking out the memory sticks. IS that ok?

25. TimW

:) yes.....

26. rangeno

I really appreciate your help.

27. theefool

theefool Geekified

Do the following if the above gives no results. :)

Okay, the machine boots into safemode only.

Try:

Click START, then RUN, then type in:
    msconfig (press enter).

Click the radial button "Selective startup".
    Uncheck "Load STARTUP Items".

Then click the tab, Services.
    Check the box, "Hide all Microsoft Services".
    Click the button, "Disable ALL".
    Press OK, yes to reboot. Does the computer now reboot into normal mode, vice safemode.

28. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

Umm, he has an integrated ATI video card which uses 128MB of RAM...this is why Windows reports 384MB of RAM (512-128=384)...this is normal. I don't think his RAM is the cuplrit at all.

On top of theefool's advice, check in MSCONFIG & make sure the "/safeboot" option is unchecked in the "boot.ini" tab, as that would cause the constant booting into safe mode.

29. theefool

theefool Geekified

Both of your points, are a very good observation and excellent things to look into. :)

30. rangeno

I tried to clean up my hard drive and when I boot up (in safe mode) my computer doesn't even get to windows. Do you have any idea what the problem might be since it doesn't seem like it's the RAM?

31. theefool

theefool Geekified

Hrm, from your original post, you said that computer can boot into safe mode.

How far does it boot into safe mode?

Does it tell ye that your are in safe mode?

32. rangeno

It starts to boot then a blue screen quickly flashes and it goes to the screen where it asks if you want to boot in safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc....when I select safe mode the screen fills up with:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys and a bunch of other extensions after DRIVERS\...This is as far as it gets.

33. N5638J

N5638J Guest

now when you said you cleaned up the hard drive did you delete stuff out of your windows folder? what did you delete?

34. rangeno

I went to My Computer...Properties...Tools...Error Checking (checked both boxes)...Re-Booted...And that's as far as I got...On the re-boot it got hung up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds