No Installation Screen after Inserting New Software CD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rfloyd, Dec 15, 2006.

1. rfloyd

rfloyd Private E-2

My computer doesn't automatically give me an installation screen when I insert a CD with new software. I have to go to Windows Explorer to find the setup program.

I have made lots of changes to my computer lately and everything seems to be working fine now except for the above problem. Can anyone help, please?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I suspect its likely you've made a change that's affected your autoplay settings. Here's what to do:

1. Open 'My Computer'
    2. Right-click the affected drive
    3. Select 'Properties'
    4. On the CD-ROM drive properties dialog, select the 'Autoplay' tab

Here, you can select what action to take when CDs with different file types are inserted.

3. rfloyd

rfloyd Private E-2

Thank you for responding so quickly. I actually tried what you suggested. I picked the option that says "Prompt me to choose an action." It doesn't seem to work even if I select "Select an action to perform." However, I can always open the program if I go to Explorer. Any other suggestions.

4. rfloyd

rfloyd Private E-2

I also checked the registry key for NoDriveTypeAutorun setting. The hex number is 91 which seems to enable autorun for my CDROM and DVD drives.

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Please see this Microsoft KB titled, The AutoRun feature or the AutoPlay feature does not work when you insert a CD-ROM in the drive, and let us know if it helps your situation.

6. rfloyd

rfloyd Private E-2

No, this did not work either. I went through the whole procedure, including checking for driver updates. Nothing seems to work. Still have the same problem that drives act like autorun is not in effect, but all registry keys have the correct values.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds