HP laptop and WLAN problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by hopperdave2000, Sep 18, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I wasn't sure if this was a software issue, hardware, or a driver problem, so I went with this forum... HP laptop; Pavilion dv2505nr running WinXP Home SP2. A complete system restore was just done using the built-in restore partition and now there is no wireless internet. It's not listed in the device manager at all: no yellow !; no question marks; nothing. It is also not shown anywhere in the BIOS. But there's a switch on the front of the laptop labled "Wireless" and the LED stays lit regardless of the position of the switch. There's an entry in the Control Panel for HP Wireless Manager (or something very close to that) and when clicked on, nothing happens; no windows open, nada. The HP web site has a driver for a BroadCom WLAN device; installing the driver does nothing. Could the on board WLAN card be dead? Any other ideas? Thanx!

hd2k

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

UPDATE: When I try to boot in Safe Mode with Networking, it gets as far as the blue login screen with Administrator and the user name, it'll sit there for maybe 10 seconds, or if I click a user, 10 seconds later or so, the PC shuts off without warning. This happens in safe mode ONLY! :confused Strange.

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Hmmmm... nobody? Anybody?
    Any ideas? Suggestions? Anything?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds