"Read and Run Me First" Win Installer problem soved.

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by william bradley, Aug 20, 2008.

1. william bradley

william bradley Private E-2

Great advice, I followed all the steps-got rid of many infections, then suspecting that my student's version
    of Symantec AV was tampered with, I tried to delete it but the Windows Installer pane popped up and said that the path <...temp/symantec/etc...> was unavailable. Anyhow: thenceforth using the mouse right-click action on any desktop icon caused the Windows Installer pane to pop up...and pop up...and pop up...annoying. Downloaded from PC Mags site: "Revo Uninstaller." (Make sure you enable System Restore, yeah, I know System Restore doesn't seem to work too well, but that could be the result of some malware lingering).
    That got rid of the numerous Symantec Registry keys and files, but, added toy, you get to view the whole tree before deleting.
    Problem cured. It is suggested in the Registry clean-up article (same magazine web page) that you use a good uninstaller routinely instead of depending on risky registry cleaners that might delete needed DLLs. As you know, some un-installations are pretty sloppy. Hope this helps others in the same predicament, and no, they aren't paying me for the above "plug."
    Regards and thank you
    William

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds