Multiple Problems with IE and Firewall

Discussion in 'Software' started by reesa, Oct 10, 2003.

1. reesa

reesa Private E-2

Hi, I've been having a few problems lately and I hope someone can help me.

My OS is Windows 98 SE (4.10.2222 A) and I have a direct cable internet connection with Road Runner.

I'm having two major problems.

The first is with Internet Explorer (Version 6.0.2800.116IC) About two to three months ago IE began crashing repeatedly then crashing the whole system. It would only happen in Internet Explorer and when I attempted to click a link IE would hang, and not respond and freeze. If I hit Ctrl Alt Delete and end IE when I was at the desk top if I attempted to open any other program or even click the desk top the whole computer would freeze and if I Ctrl Alt Del at this point it would report mprexe was not responding. Then I get the blue screen system is unstable or busy and I eventually have to turn the main power switch off and reboot. This is what I've tried so far...

-I used IE repair tool
    -Reverted back to IE 5.0 then reinstalled IE 6.0 and all critical updates.
    -Released IP address then renewed in IP configuration (Start-->Run-->winipcfg-->OK)
    -System File Checker (nothing found)
    -Registry Checker (nothing found)
    -Scan Disk Ms Dos version (reported memory was reported incorrectly and fixed it, but no errors or bad sectors)
    -Version Conflict Manager (finds no conflicts)
    -Full Virus Scan both in regular mode and Ms dos version (reported clean)
    -Used online virus scanners (systemac and panda) all came up clean
    -Did online TrojanScan (came up clean)
    -Disk Cleanup drives C: and D:
    -Disk Defragmenter
    -Started using McAfee Firewall (occasionally mcafee firewall will show IE communicating when my browser is closed.) When this happens I can here the computer making "noises" as if I am using a program or browsing when I'm not.
    -Ran Ad-aware and removed all objects found. Since cleaned with ad-aware scan always comes up clean with the exception of a few cookies. Posted at lavasoft support forum here...

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=12658

-Started using Ad-watch (included with Ad-aware) sometimes reports Internet Explorer as a running process when it is closed. Same thing like with firewall - When this happens I can here the computer making "noises" as if I am using a program or browsing when I'm not.

-Ran HijackThis and posted log here...removed these entries

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)

F0 - system.ini: Shell=

posted HijackThis log (now clean) here...

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=12772

-Fixed TCP/IP settings for Network as Road Runner (my ISP) listed in it's knowledge base. (In Network Settings - Changed Primary Network Logon from Client for Microsoft Networks to Windows Logon.)

http://help.rr.com/disExtSolution.asp?kbid=KB0000000000405

-called Road Runner and Technician said that knowledge base article was wrong and the Primary Network Logon (In Control Panal - Network ) should be "Client for Microsoft Networks" instead of "Windows Logon". So he walked me through changing that as well as adding Proxy settings that weren't set before under connection in Internet Options.

Since I added the proxy settings I haven't crashed yet but I don't know if it's solved because it will go a few days and not crash and then start crashing again. Also because IE stays running when browser is closed, reported by McAfee Firewall and Ad-watch.

The second problem is with McAfee Firewall (Version 4.02.6000.0) and McAfee Virus scan (Version 7.03.6000)

McAfee Virus scan keeps telling me there are no updates when infact there are. It also asks me to restart the computer after updating (which it didn't do before). The backround scanning gets stuck and I have to Ctrl ALt Del and restart the backround scanning. Usually, I am unable to open Virus scan at all after a IE crash and when firewall is reporting IE running when it's closed.

For some reason, my network adapter settings for ICMP keep changing from blocked to Allow. Today when I opened firewall it was set to allow ICMP. I never changed the settings to allow ICMP. So when I tried to change it to block ICMP, it did. Then I hit apply, but then if I click "ok" instead of the "X" close button when I open adapter settings again it's set to Allow ICMP again and the default ICMP rule for Mcafee is to block all ICMP. *** I figured out this ICMP settings problem I just found the answer an mcafee forums...

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=15964

Sorry this is so long...Thank you for any help you can give me...I appreciate it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2003
  2. reesa

reesa Private E-2

Ok...I don't know if this helps but I think I've narrowed it down. What I think is happening is when I close IE for some unknown reason it's not actually closing (sometimes) it stays hidden and doesn't appear when I ctrl alt del. Then when I reopen IE maybe the two internet explorer's running is what's causing the crash??? Is that possible? Does anyone know what might cause internet explorer to continue to run in the backround? And any suggestions on what I can try to do to fix it? :(

3. reesa

reesa Private E-2

Ok the hard drive did finally crash. So I thought maybe it's related to the crashes with IE because the "er..er...er...er" sounds it made would happen more and more with IE towards... the....end.... :(

But I replace the hard drive and IE is still locking up the computer. Buy the way when they say Compaq they mean COMPACT! It doesn't seem to be any other program although if I try using another browser (AOL, MSN) it still locks up.

Could it be a bad ethernet card or network adapter card? any suggestions? Please? Thanks! :D

4. reesa

reesa Private E-2

Sorry about the all the info I wanted to make sure I didn't leave anything out. Ok I searched winsock.dll and it is there. I formated and did a clean install. No problem about the questions! I appreciate it! The only other thing I noticed before I changed the hard drive was when IE did crash mprexe would be not reponding. But since I replaced the hard drive I haven't noticed that.

5. reesa

reesa Private E-2

It's a 500 mhz processor (AMD K6 3D) and 56.0 MB of Ram with 78% free system resources.

6. reesa

reesa Private E-2

Ok Thank You very much :D !

7. reesa

reesa Private E-2

Ok I will try it all. I also have a feeling it is McAfee related it seems to have started just after installing the new McAfee. But I can't remember if I updated McAfee because the computer was acting up or it started to act up after McAfee. Ok thank you!!!!!! I will keep you posted.

8. reesa

reesa Private E-2

So far So Good...

Well I uninstalled McAfee and replaced it with the anti-virus and firewall that comes with RR service and so far so good! :D No more crashing and startup and shutdown are alot faster! Hopefully that was it! Thank you everyone for all your help I really appreciate it!!!! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds