Help on Editing Videos

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dr. Nuclear Core, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Dr. Nuclear Core

Dr. Nuclear Core Private E-2

Hey guys. Im new and I gotta say I like this forum alot! Please move this if this isn't the right place but, I need help editing some videos. You see I recently got Director Status on YouTube, and I wanted to submit long videos but it turns out I still need them to be smaller in overall size and length.
    I need to basically cut, a video I recently downloaded into parts so I can properly fit it all on YouTube, but I don't know of any programs that can do that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

What format is the movie? Avi, mpeg?

3. Dr. Nuclear Core

Hey thanks for responding, the format of most of my videos it AVI.

4. sach2

Virtual Dub Mod is my choice for editing Avi's, it's fast but not very user friendly.
    Basically, download the program and unzip to a folder on your desktop or similar easy to find location. The program does not install on your computer so you just go into the folder and click on the .exe file to start the program.

Under file menu select open video file and browse to your movie. It opens split screen although I don't find the second window all that useful. You have really 4 buttons that you use to navigate the movie, left/right yellow keys and left/right markers(arrows). The yellow buttons take you to "key" frames which it is recommended to cut on. The arrow keys mark the start/left and end/right of the segment you want to save or delete. You use the slider to move around the movie.

So if you have an avi that you just want to cut into 4 pieces you would open the video, click the left arrow to mark beginning of first segment. Then use either the slider(to jump large distances ahead) or the right yellow key to advance the movie till the end of the first segment. If you use the slider than use a yellow key to move slightly back/forward to end on a key frame before using the right arrow key mark the end of the first segment. You now have the first segment marked, so under File>Save As enter a name for your clip and at the bottom of the window for the Video Mode drop down box: select Direct Stream Copy. Direct Stream Copy is important because if you use full processing mode the clip will be very large. Your movie clip will be saved and just go back to the program and mark the second segment etc.

If you want to delete parts of a movie then after marking the segment to be deleted just hit the delete key on you keyboard. Repeat for all segments to be deleted than Save As will save a clip which is your movie minus deleted scenes.

I think Virtual Dub warns if you try to overwrite your original file, but I always use Save As menu so that I am reminded to choose a new name for my clips.

Any questions, feel free to ask! :)

5. Dr. Nuclear Core

Im sorry but I don't quite understand that well, is there any program that is easy to use for this?

6. Dr. Nuclear Core

Seriously I need help guys. I really don't know what to do here. confused

7. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

8. MZPRESTO

MZPRESTO Private First Class

...and if you want to take small clips from DVDs without ripping the whole damn thing to your harddrive first then get these programs:

DvD 43: http://www.dvd43.com/

^^^ This is a neat little program that sits in your systray and disables copyright protection so that you don't need a decrypter, so once that is up and running get:

DvDX: http://www.labdv.com/dvdx/

Looks crap, but it's free and does the job lets you open the ifo's or vob's and you can then just cut a little clip from the DvD both these progs are freeware and saved me a LOT of time, so thought I'd share!!!

Laters!

9. sach2

Uhmmm,

Did you download Virtual Dub Mod and try it out? Trust me it is the best for what you are trying to accomplish. :)

10. Dr. Nuclear Core

Yeah I downloaded it, but im confused by the layout, how do I cut the video?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds