How to create system-level Windows user account in Windows XP Pro?

Discussion in 'Software' started by BobLewiston, Apr 2, 2010.

1. BobLewiston

BobLewiston Private E-2

How do you create a Windows user account with system-level priveleges (above administrator-level), and why would you want to? I'm running Windows XP Pro.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I do know of a trick to do this, but I've never seen the value (except maybe when fighting malware, which generally isn't a problem for me), or have been able to reverse the changes it makes to the system (nothing major, but annoying).

It's not creating an account, per se, but it is equivalent to being logged in with the system account. You can PM me if you're really curious. I don't want to post it for the world to see. I've made that mistake when I originally discovered this trick, and had the thread removed. :)

3. BobLewiston

BobLewiston Private E-2

Attention, Mada_Milty:

Sorry, I don't know how to use the PM thing here at MajorGeeks. Whenever I've wanted to send a PM at some other forum, it was all handled "in-house" easy-as-pie. Here you've got to enable private messaging and submit an ICQ Number, AIM Screen Name, MSN Messenger Handle, Yahoo Messenger Handle or Skype Name. Sorry, I don't know anything about that. Yeah, I know, I'm so unknowledgeable about such things that I must not be cool. If you want to write a sentence or two getting me up to speed on this, thanks.

I wasn't sure what value might be in setting up a system-level Windows user account; that was part of my question. Of course fighting malware would be worth it, if I was being guided by someone with sufficient expertise (which I guess I would be here). Although after my prior experience with a rootkit, my focus is definitely on prevention. As far as reversing changes to the system, for me the simplest approach is "that's what system restore points are for".

Yeah, I am kind of curious about this, though. If you wanted to tell me about it (once I got up-to-speed on MajorGeeks’ private messaging), I'd be interested.

I wonder why your thread was deleted. It's not like we're talking about how to do this on a server or anything. Maybe they're afraid you'll damage your own OS, who knows?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

@Mada you may need to PM Bob first and leave an email or contact addy with him as he doesnt have the right number of posts to PM himself.

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Ahhh! I've forgotten what it was like to be PFC! :-D

I can't PM you either, Bob. Do you have Private Messaging enabled on your profile? (You can check by clicking "User CP" at the top-left of most pages --> Edit Options --> Enable Private Messaging) You do not require AIM, or ICQ, Skype or MSN, or any other messaging service. It is done inhouse here, too, but only after you've proven that you're not a spammer with a high enough number of valid posts. :)

Alternatively, you can email me at david[underscore]layzell[at]hotmail[dot]com. I'm about to step out, though, so I may be awhile in responding.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  6. BobLewiston

BobLewiston Private E-2

Attention, Mada_Milty:

OK, I've done so. Thanks.

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Message sent! Good luck to you!

8. BobLewiston

BobLewiston Private E-2

Attention, Mada_Milty:

Thanks.

9. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Not a problem. I take this to mean that it worked?

10. BobLewiston

BobLewiston Private E-2

Mada_Milty:

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I actually haven't tried it yet - I'm sick as a dog (chest cold). I'll let you know how it worked out when I feel well enough to try it. Thanks again.

11. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Oh, get well soon, then! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds