Decrease in Speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BeerMonkey, Nov 30, 2007.

1. BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey Master Sergeant

I have been noticing for the last couple of days that my internet becomes slower at around 6pm everyday. I do have a wireless network with my Linksys router. The laptop that is getting that connection is shut off when i use my PC, so I'm ruling that out as a possible speed hog. Been thinking that it might be an outside source that is stealing my speed but then again i don't even know if thats possible, i mean...my network is secured and everything.

Help.

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Do you have a cable connection?
    That can slow up quite a bit in the evenings because of increased usage from other customers on the same feed.

3. BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey Master Sergeant

I had cable years ago but i switched back.

How can i change the password for my connection of the Linksys router. I forgot how but i want to see if it restores my speed.

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

If you want to just change the router password, log in to the router setup menu.
    Linksys routers usually use the IP address 192.168.1.1 to get to set up. Enter this address into your browser address bar and you should get there.
    The router password is probably on the Administration tab, Management sub tab. (That's where it is for my WRT54G)

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

So, you're on DSL now?

How is it secured?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds