Install Ubuntu from HD

Discussion in 'Software' started by ekhan, Mar 24, 2007.

1. ekhan

ekhan Corporal

I just finished downloading Ubuntu 6.10 its an iso file. Is it possible to install Ubuntu from the HD? I have 2 HD's
    (1) Win2000Pro
    (2) DATA
    I'm going to extract the iso to my DATA drive and format Win2000Pro and get to DOS and install Ubuntu, can i do this? I can also install win 95 or 98 after format and then install ubuntu over it.
    Will any of these work?
    1 more thing i downloaded the ubuntu 6.10 desktop-i386 and the file size is 698MB
    Did i download the right one or is this just like the Live CD to try the OS out?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  2. ekhan

ekhan Corporal

Anybody??????????????

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Unless ubuntu includes a win32 installer, and I dont think it does, then no, this will not work. You need to boot off of the CD.

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

you need a program to create an iso CD and then boot into the CD. If you downloaded a live CD, you can then click the desktop icon, or if you downloaded the alternative CD, you have options on the splash screen.

It has been my experience this takes a min of 4 GB

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds