Really Really Bad News

Discussion in 'Software' started by jf38081, Jul 30, 2005.

1. jf38081

jf38081 Private E-2

I've really caused a problem here. This was supposed to be a quick fix, and things went from bad to worse to really bad. This is a Gateway notebook running xp (pro i believe.) Heres what has happened.

A client of mine gave me his company pc. It had an alert box come up at startup that said to put in the frontpage cd to complete the installation. Evidentally he clicked something that caused this to happen.

After doing a kb search I decided to use the microsoft windows installer cleanup utility to fix the issue. We installed and ran it to clean up the .msi for microsoft frontpage.

It seemed to reboot and run correctly. Then we tried to run office and got the message that it is not installed! I thought to myself, this is not good.

Here is a couple bits of info that might help - I did have the foresight to make a registry backup to the c: - also, this pc has a d: partition as well. Hopefully this pieces of info can help bail me out on this one... but it gets worse now!

I noticed the Gateway Restore tool. This rebooted the pc and gave the option to do a non destructive restore, which i did. And now for the really bad news: It will no longer boot to windows at all! I appeared to do a successfull restore, but now it give the following error:

"Fatal Error

An error has been encountered that prevents Setup for contuning.

Windows is unable to start because the registry could not be updated. To address this problem, please contact you computer manufacturer. Windows must now Shut Down.

Press OK to view the Setup log file."

The log file has the exact same message in it!

If anyone can help -

I'd like to first try to find a way to copy his "My Documents" over to the D:
    Then, can we do a reg restore, with the backup I did?
    Any other thoughts!

This one is gonna hurt - I can feel it!
    Jim

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You are right, this is gonna hurt.

Go through this article, to get to hsi old data, back it up, then format, and reinstall Windows:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316941

Look at the section titled Install Windows XP to a New Folder

3. jf38081

jf38081 Private E-2

Looks really bad, doesn't it? Kinda makes one sick. Clearly I need to be in the habit of backing up before attempting anything.

Basically if I understand you right - reinstall windows - to a new directory. Backup the "My Documents" to a CD or another partition. then format and install again so that windows is on there in its normal directory? yes.

Any second opinions? What a nightmare this is...

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Correct.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds