Sudden CPU overload

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StuffGal, Feb 1, 2007.

1. StuffGal

StuffGal Private E-2

Hello,

I have a problem where my CPU is always overloaded. If I put the computer on StandBy, the whole thing calms down, but it starts up again once I open the computer and start a program- any program will set it off. The CPU then stays at about a steady 100% and the fans keep spinning until I turn it off again.

I've tried running Ad-Aware Personal SE (free), Spybot-Search & Destroy, and AVG Free, to no avail. I've also closed out of many unnecessary processes through Task Manager, and I've cleaned the computer up a little, though it's run on these same general processes and same amount of used space (or more) without a problem this intense.

I think it may be a hardware problem because the computer is a little old, and the graphics card may be lose (I've had problems with picture on my monitor before, though tilting my computer forward seems to have fixed the problem).

This problem started up no more than a week ago. I use a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop, with Windows XP.

2. Elcoman

Elcoman Private E-2

I am betting you have a virus. You should follow al the steps from how to remove malware. It worked for me, great.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Welcome to Major Geeks. :major

"though tilting my computer forward seems to have fixed the problem".

Maybe open up your case and make sure all cards are firmly seated into the motherboard. Don't use excessive force though, as you may damage your motherboard, depending on how well it is supported by spacers, etc.

If that doesn't cure it, try
    Process Explorer​
    .​
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4566

4. StuffGal

StuffGal Private E-2

Thank-you for your advice so far! Unfortunately, the problem still hasn't been solved- everything inside seemed fine.

My top CPU-users are: System Idle Process, Interrupts, services.exe, firefox.exe, DPCs, procexp.exe, explorer.exe, and winlogon.exe.

5. ncawk

ncawk Private E-2

Click on Start.
    Click on Control Panel.
    Click on Performance and Maintenance then System (for Windows 2000, just click System).
    Click on the Advanced tab
    Click on the Settings button under the Performance heading.
    Click on the Advanced tab.
    Click on the Change button under the Virtual Memory heading.
    Select Custom size.
    Set both the Initial size and the Maximum size to 0 (zero).
    Click on Set.
    Click on OK until you are prompted to restart. Restart when prompted.
    After the restart finishes, click on Start.
    Click on All Programs (just Programs in Windows 2000).
    Click on Accessories.
    Click on System Tools.
    Click on Disk Defragmenter.
    Click on Defragment. If you receive a message that the drive does not need to be defragmented, choose to defragment anyway.
    Let this finish. Do not perform any other tasks on the system while the defragment is running. It will take a while.
    When it is done, it will show you a report. Look for the Total Fragmentation percentage. If it is greater than 5%, click the Defragment button again and let it complete a second time.
    Continue to defragment the drive until either the Total Fragmentation drops below 5% or the percentage does not lower beyond the current value.
    Close the Disk Defragmenter window.
    Click on Start.
    Click on Control Panel.
    Click on Performance and Maintenance then System (for Windows 2000, just click System).
    Click on the Advanced tab
    Click on the Settings button under the Performance heading.
    Click on the Advanced tab.
    Click on the Change button under the Virtual Memory heading.
    Select Custom size.
    Set the Initial size to 1024 and the Maximum size to 2048.
    Click on Set.
    Click on OK until you are prompted to restart. Restart when prompted.
    ........................................................................................................
    this always seems to help me, also firefox is definatly a CPU hog, i always disable my virus software tends to hog up my cpu as well, hope i helped a lil :wave
    ........................................................................................................
    also about you having to tilt your computer to get the video to work, means that your cables are loose, least thats what my prob was. also if you have a warrenty send it back to dell and they could fix the problem if you don't on your own.

6. bigbazza

I should have asked also what are the percentages of your Top 8 you listed. :eek:
    Doesn't seem to be anything unusual in those you listed, except that Firefox is a hog apparently ( I don't use it). Bazza

===

7. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

I'm surprised that Firefox would show in the top 8 unless it was actively doing something at the time. Does it stay in the top eight if you just sit back and watch for a while while Firefox does nothing? Or does the percentage of CPU usage drop back below 1-2% and stay there?

I don't use Firefox; I use Opera. After sitting a bit with no activity, Opera remains in the top 8 (but only just) showing a CPU utilization of less than 0.5% (i.e., "00"). If Firefox continues to show a usage that's into double digits while it doesn't appear to be doing anything, I'd wonder if it's been co-opted by a worm or virus.

Looking back at your first post, I note that you've run two spyware scanners but only one AV scanner. Spyware doesn't usually impose much of a load on your system. It just sits in the background watching what you do, then occasionally "phones home" with the data it collects. It's the viruses, worms, and Trojans that set off usage alarms. AVG has a good rep, but a second opinion is always a good idea with any scanner -- especially when you note that there are some viruses that know how to disable a resident scanner to escape detection.

If you can use a broadband connection to the Internet, run an on-line scanner for that second opinion. Here are some links you might consider:

http://antivirus.about.com/cs/softwarereviews/tp/aaonline.htm
    http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=84939
    http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?
    http://www.activescan.com/
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/

Please note that I have not used all of these services. They were recommended to me by other sources, including MG.

You might also find and run a TCP/IP utility that will show you what ports are open on your machine, what their status is, and what IP addresses they're linked to. Unfortunately, that does involve gruntwork of the kind that any competent detective is quite accustomed to. You'll need to resolve any IP addresses shown to be sure that the connection is one that should exist.

You might also consider running HiJackThis. See Major Attitude's page at <http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407> before you do this so that you don't waste your time and the time of those who review your HJT log for you.

8. Tater

Tater Tot

I've seen instances where he pressure of the monitor cable can pull down and actually tilt the video card (up) loose. Just another thing to check.

9. bigbazza

Bump.
    Just noticed that "Interrupts" is less than 1% on my PC confused, with 68 processes loaded.
    It probably shoudn't figure in your top 8.confused

Let us know the percentages of your Top 8. ;) Bazza

10. StuffGal

StuffGal Private E-2

I did one of the second-opinion scans as suggested above, but the only thing I got back after a day-long scan were the same old tracking cookies Ad-Aware takes care of all the time. I also tried ncawk's defrag suggestion, but that hasn't helped much either. I will visit the other thread on Rob M's post later and follow those instructions.

The processes listed in Process Explorer are changing rapidly in their places, but the general rule is that the very top process is 20 or less (usually stays ten or less), and the later 7 are below 5, but sometimes jump up to a number just under 10.

My friend, Jimmy, recently saw my computer- he believes the CPU is fine, the RAM is fine, and the disc is clean, but that the fans are what's causing the slowdown- after all, things only slow down the instant the fans kick up.

11. Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel Private First Class

also, after you figure out which running processes you dont need, you can disable them with winpatrol
    its a nice little program that doesnt let some of those memory hogging programs stay in the system tray unless you start the program yourself

such as.. roxio, nero, any other program that might be hogging your cpu/ram...

12. V.Putin

V.Putin Private E-2

Ho there.I've been having the same kind of problem for so long,spent alot of time defragmenting,cleaning,testing and checking for malware my old laptop-nothing helped.But I've tried your advice setting virtual memory to 0 and it worked. I even don't see why i have to Set the Initial size to 1024 and the Maximum size to 2048.
    Thanks.:)
    And could you explain why i should Set the Initial size to 1024 and the Maximum size to 2048?:confused

Thanks one more time!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds