can i overclock this

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RPC283, Aug 30, 2004.

1. RPC283

RPC283 Private E-2

2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    533MHz fsb
    8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

512MD Pc1066 RDRAM (2x256 modules)

128mb DDR ATI Radeon "9700 TX graphics card with tv-out and DVi)
    (this card is one speical made with dell models its not an 9700 pro. just make sure if u gimme advise about it u no what exact card it is)

120GB ultra ATA/100 harddirve

SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Digital Sound Card

if u need more info reply

oh and if i cant do my computer how do i overclock my graphics card.

and is it safe to do in a dell.

how much shorter will the hardware burnout if i do. i normally keep it on all day and most nights.?

2. RPC283

RPC283 Private E-2

oh and i forgot its a dell 8250 so i am pretty sure it has to be northwood right i got it in 4/11/03 (march of 03 for retards)

3. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

the only way you're going to overclock a dell is with software for windows (i forgot what it was, so someone please fill it in for me:)). as for the video card, i recommend you try out radlinker http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4156 it's a program that just adds a couple new tabs to the advanced properties of the display properties.

4. mozzar

mozzar Private E-2

it is best not to overclock you computer as it can have dier effects to the HD and cpu. the only necessary reason to need to overclock your computer is if it is a server with lots of uptime.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Can someone explain why a server would need to be overclocked?

Especially one with "lots" of uptime? overclocking is going to lower uptime, if it affects it at all.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

OCing a P4 is not the easiest task due to locked multipliers on P4s ( unless you get your grubby mits on an Engineering Sample ) but in a pre-built system ( Dell etc etc ) its generally harder if not impossible due to proprietry bios settings etc

as Strogg said best bet is your GFX card... but if you attempt it dont go wild.. just increase the mhz in small steps BUT I would only attempt OCing if you can afford to replace any parts if they die!!!

Thats the last thing you want to do to a server... servers need stability... OCing is not a stable thing... especially in something that runs 24/7!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds