Hamster Video Converter (freeware)

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Aug 5, 2010.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I'm always on the lookout for new free video converters, and I was happy to see something new on today's MG front page: Hamster Video Converter. So I promptly downloaded it and put it thru its paces.... it converted a 1gb x264 MKV video file to AVI in exactly 30 minutes, which is fairly good. However, the settings are VERY basic. This might be a good program for people just needing to convert something for their iPhone, but for 'serious' video converting, I'd stay away from this one. The AVI file file I ended up with used the "FMP4" codec. WTF is the "FMP4" codec? The 'settings' in the program said the resulting AVI file would be DivX-XViD compatible. This may be true, but I have no ideo what the "FMP4" codec is, and according to GSpot (a video codec identification app), I don't have the "FMP4" codec installed, and I'm using one of Shark007's highly respected codec packs (I think I have the 64bit pack - I don't remember and I don't feel like checking). So how is that "DivX-XViD" compatible? If it is truly "DivX-XViD" compatible, it should play on my standalone DVD/DivX player, right? Well, this FMP4 AVI file did not. Also, as far as I could tell, Hamster Video Converter has no bit-rate settings for audio or video, no settings for aspect ratio (unless you compute a custom resolution), and is overall almost "too easy" to use. Maybe it's because I'm used to programs like MediaCoder or XMedia Recode or SUPER or even the free version of the WinX Video Converter. All these apps are 100% free, and have WAY more functionality and configurability than Hamster. So- I guess if you need simple basic functionality to convert a video to iPod or MP4 or iPhone or PSP format, and you don't want or need any real settings to work with, then maybe Hamster is good for you, but for me, it's just too basic, too simple, and the weird "DivX-XViD compatible" FMP4 codec left a sour taste in my mouth. However, Hamster is somewhat fast, but then again, I have a quad-core 3.2ghz CPU and 6gb of memory.... which brings up another point: Hamster does not appear to be 'multi-core aware' like MediaCoder or WinX (at least the Platinum WinX is multi-core aware; I'm not sure about the free one). I gave Hamster 3 stars for being just average, but in reality, it is kind of below average when compared against the other free apps available.....

Just my 2 cents . . . not a real "review" and all this is really based on a single conversion . . . I haven't spent much time with Hamster, but I doubt I'll try it again..... and I've already uninstalled it . . .

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'm always interested in real user experiences. I then know what to try and what to avoid.

I use a freebie Pazera (they have several apps) just to convert from flv to avi or mpeg.
    I also use another Pazera that extracts the audio from a clip.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds