Fried something

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by waryuser, Apr 13, 2007.

1. waryuser

waryuser Private First Class

Hey guys I was working on my older computer today. Its a dinosaur so i like to experiment and add and take away components etc. Well Today I was messing with a linux installation and for some reason I kept getting Drive a:/ ERRORS so i decided to unplug it. then wen I realized it made no difference, I plugged it back in but forgot to turn the power off first. Anyways Right when i did that the power went off. Basically I was wondering what you guys think it was that was fried. Do you think it might be the power supply or something else? Is there some way to test it before I go out and purchase a new part?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

unplug/unhook/take out everything EXCEPT the processor and PSU (duh) Start adding things in one at a time; one stick of ram, video card (if you have one), hard drive, disk drives (cd, dvd, floppy etc) any other sticks of RAM until you get to something that makes it mess up

3. n0r4d

n0r4d Private E-2

:D standard routine troubleshooting. i have to do this quite often seeing as how I have a part time pc repair business. its a pain but sure way to find your problem. now if your computer is a bare bone and you get nothing you can rest assured your Power supply is dead.(Please make sure that you test your electrical outlet to see that it has power... IE. Circut breakers. this will minimize alot of pontential headache and frustration, And i know this sounds dumb but ive seen this happen first hand lol) You should replace it. and i recommend troubleshooting your system just to be assured that you do not have any other dead parts

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  4. waryuser

Thanks guys, I will try this :major and update my progress. lets hope its nothing too major that got fried.

cheers

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Take the psu to your local shoppe, they may test it for free in the hope of selling you a new one.

Studio T

6. waryuser

guess what...I pressed the power button yesterday and like magic my computer is back...weird huh. I didnt even do anything yet..haha. Im kinda glad i didnt actually.:D

thanks for the suggestions tho guys.

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Sometimes you have to wait awhile for things to reset after applying the ultimate sanction.

Glad to hear its OK

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds