Cannot format my usb flash drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by igambatese, May 6, 2011.

1. igambatese

igambatese Private E-2

I have a sony video camera and have all of my videos and pics stored on my computer. I just recently bought a 128gb usb flash drive so i can export all pics and vidoes onto it to keep somewhere safe. I exported all the pics with no problem but when it comes to the vidoes i keep getting error messages. The message says: "Cannot export videos in TS (AVC) format to this media. To export TS (AVC) format videos, record using this media with an AVCHD format camera."
    my video camera records in AVCHD. I have tried formatting my usb flash drive from exFAT to NTFS but for some reason it won't format that way. I am having TONS of trouble!!! can someone PLEASE help me?!?! I have spent the past 2 days straight on the computer trying to figure this out. and by the way, if you haven't noticed, im not too computer savy. So some of the technical terms i don't really understand....

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The videos are either in TS or AVC, from looking there is no TS (AVC). Did you do any conversion when you moved them from the camera to the computer? Or does the camera offer a transfer mode and the files have been converted without you being aware of it?

Right click one file, select properties and see what the actual extension is on the video file so everyone reading the thread knows what sort of files you have.

3. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

May I ask how you formatted your thumb drive?
    I've done it like this: (and have never had a problem with windows)
    1)Plug Thumb Drive in.
    2)Click "My Computer" Click "Manage" in the "Explorer" window of "My Computer".
    3) Open the "Device Manager" and locate you Thumb Drive installed under the "Device Drivers" Tab, Right-Click on "Removable Disk Drive" and click on "Properties" from the menu.
    4)Click on the "Policies" Tab and Chose "Optimize for Performance" from the options, Click "Ok" and continue.
    5)Click on "My Computer" and chose the format on the Thumb Drive.
    6)Choose "NTFS" or FAT32" depending on the format you want from the drop down menu.
    7)Click "Ok" to complete the format.

4. igambatese

igambatese Private E-2

so I right clicked on the video file and clicked on properties...im not sure what you mean when you say "the extension on the file", but this is what it says in the properties menu...

file name
    file type: TS (AVC) Format
    File size, date taken, date modified
    image size: 1440 x 1080
    duration: 00:40
    Video Codec: AVC
    Frame rate: 60i
    Video aspect ratio: 16 : 9
    Audio codec: Dolby Digital
    Number of audio channels: 2

I don't really know what any of this means, except for maybe name size and date taken, so I hope this helps with more info so soneone can help me with my problem...ANY help would be great!!!

5. igambatese

igambatese Private E-2

also in response to spock96...I have windows7. i don't know if the directions you were giving me were for windows vista or what, but when i go to the start menu and click on "computer" and go to my removable disk (E:) and click on "properties" there is no policies tab anywhere...the only tabs in the "properties" menu are "general", "tools", "hardware", "Sharing", "readyboost" and "customize"

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try the HP USB Format Tool.

It has to be installed. Then right-click the desktop shortcut and select Run as Administrator. Try formatting to NTFS. Don't use quick format or System Disk options.
    See how it goes.

For extensions open any Explorer window then at the top left is Organize>select Folder Options>View tab and uncheck the box for "Hide extensions for known filetypes". that will make the three letter extensions visible for all your files. ie .exe, .txt etc.

7. igambatese

igambatese Private E-2

i just tried to post another reply, didn't show up for some reason...in a nut shell what it said was the extensions from the video camera movies is m2tc and the extensions of the videos from my digital camera and/or cell phone that are uploaded on my comp is either AVI or MPG...I am more concerned about the videos from my video cam that are m2tc.....PLEASE any help would be great....i am so close to just giving up. so thanks in advance for any help you can give

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2011
  8. igambatese

igambatese Private E-2

ok and i JUST figured out that basically my usb flash drive is only letting me export JPG images onto it....everything else, which are all my videos, (m2ts, MPG & AVI) it won't let me export.....

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  9. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi, you keep saying export. Can you explain exactly what you are doing?

The files are on your HD in a folder. Then you open the USB drive letter in Computer. Can't you just drag and drop the files from the HD to the USB? Is this where you are getting the export error--from Windows or some other program?

Edit: Are most of the movie files under 4gb? I realize EXFAT should not have a 4gb limitation but I just want to rule that out.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What media does your sony video camera record to?

If the USB stick is formatted FAT32 and the video file is larger than 4GB, it will not transfer.

11. locodave

locodave Corporal

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds