OEx password

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skysarge, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Keep getting this message:
    There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: ........., Server: 'inbound.att.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] (#MBR1212) Incorrect username or password.', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92"

Tried backing out of OEx, then logging back on. Rebooted computer. Still cannot log on.
    Last used OEx last evening, no problems
    Wassup?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Probably the POP server down. Can you read your mail in Mail2Web?

3. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Never used it
    Went to link, tried UN and PW from OEx, no response.
    "Connecting" is about as far as I get.

4. Earthling

Confirms the server is down. Mail2Web is a great standby when you are away from base or have problems with your email client.

5. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

After nearly three days of fighting over a non-recognized password, contacted AT&T (my ISP) & MS
    Contacting MS got me a community forum, but not a solution.
    AT&T's solution was to have me to change the PW I use for their site. I did, successfully. It was recommended I do that every few months. According to the tech I worked with, after a few months the system (AT&T? MS?) will no longer recognize the PW, for security reasons.
    Have had OEx for several years, but never heard that before.
    Sarge

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

So, is OEx working for you now? If so, then you have changed the password in OE, right?

I'm skeptical about "AT&T's solution". Did they simply implement this policy [requiring a password change every few months] without notifying users?

7. Earthling

Me too! I have never, ever heard of an ISP requiring this.

8. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I have used OEx for years. The PW I just changed I had for a few years.
    We have a computer Geek at work, and I had the opportunity to button hole him for a short time.
    Replayed all this with him. I believe his reply was the AT&T tech misspoke. He does not see nor is he aware of AT&T or MS asking customers to change PW periodically. He does not understand why their tech would tell me that their system will automatically reject a PW after a given length of time.
    When I changed my PW with AT&T, I also changed it with OEx. That was also a suggestion of AT&T.
    I did some reading on this, and if I understand the articles, it is not uncommon, and is caused by a glitch (term?). I found nothing that stated MS or AT&T will stop recognizing a pw for the reason I was given.
    Skysarge

Great, I just got an alert from Avast a threat was detected - JS frame or JSL frame or something similar

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  9. Earthling

The problem was only with your OE password. If it had been with your AT&T password you would not have had any internet at all. There was clearly some glitch with the AT&T email server not recognising your password. Microsoft are not involved in this in any way at all.

Thanks for the update :)

10. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I am beginning to think a lot of what the the tech did and had me do was slight of hand.
    It just came back on my recall that one of the very last things done was to go to OEx, and change that PW to the same as the one I am now using for AT&T. When the AT&T one was changed, OEx still would not recognize the PW that was stored in it. The tech walked me through the changeover procedure.
    I seem to recall that a year or so back, I had the same problem and fixing it did not entail all I went through this time.
    But, that's why I will never come close to being a Geek. I don't recall what I did last time.
    Sarge

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds