Whats Better

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DSorcerer, Dec 24, 2005.

1. DSorcerer

DSorcerer Private E-2

whats better for overclocking and day to day use a sempron 2400+ or a amd 1800+ thanks for any replies

2. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Well if your not overclocking go for the 2400+ if your are going to overclock its a bit of a flip of a coin.... Iv known 1800+ thoroughbreds to OC past 2.33 Ghz but not every thoroughbred OCes as well as the other ( the one im running now wont brake 1.8Ghz ) ....Now a sempron is just a glorified thoroughbred ( or is it a barton with half the cache :confused: ) i never can remember ... when it comes down to it the thoroughbred and the sempron both have 256 L2 cache and are made from the same architecture ( more less )..... FSB wise the sempron can come stock at 333FSB and the thoroughbred comes at a 266 FSB ( thow iv never seen a case whare a CPU was the limiting facter when it came to a FSB overclock ( unlocked and at a stable core speed )... Yea thares no real answer thare ;) .... it all boils down to luck IMO.... pick one maybe youl get lucky maybe you wont....

3. jedandjess

jedandjess Private First Class

I read somewhere on ebuyer that a duron 1800 (the last surviving skt A duron) makes an excellent overclocker and is way better when OC'd than a stock sempron 2400+. Also, they are about £30, compared to the retail sempron £50. Don't know if it's true though, but the guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about :) He said the duron was stable around 2.2 and pwned.
    Also the duron 1800 is 1800Mhz, but an athlon 1800+ (do you mean Athlon XP?) isn't 1800Mhz, is it.... is it? :)

4. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

If your going the way of any socket A CPU and not just the 2 your listed.... get a mobile barton. Period. I ran mine at 2.7 Ghz @ 266 FSB ( 533DDR ) on my DFI infinity .....and thay have 512K L2 cache witch pawns the durons 64K ;)........ The problem is thare hard to find any more :(.........

5. jedandjess

jedandjess Private First Class

Gonna say - my mouth was watering then because I'm looking for a processor / mobo upgrade myself (small budget). Never heard that you can get a mobile barton, and on the interent IT stores in UK it's almost impossible to get anything but semprons and Athlon64's. Socket A would be good enuf for me as I can get a beastin Nforce skt A mobo and a barton would go nicely with that. At the end of the day, it's all in the graphics card ;)

I just want to play Half Life 2 with more than 20fps.... :mad:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds