Taskbar not responding at start-up

Discussion in 'Software' started by lemonthins, Aug 31, 2008.

1. lemonthins

lemonthins Private E-2

Hi,

I have a problem which previously only occurred very infrequently, and was not that much of an irritation. However, since installing SP3, it happens every time I boot up.

The taskbar will not respond to anything - the start button cannot be clicked, nor can anything in quick launch or systray. When programs are minimised I cannot click on their box in the taskbar. Tooltips do not appear over, for example, the clock or program icons. When I log off and back on again, the taskbar is fine... This is getting a bit tedious however!

I am running XP pro with SP3.

I look forward to your reply,
    lemonthins.

2. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Well it seems obvious to me that your explorer.exe is freezing during load and thats why nothing works, its freezing at some point during install. There has to be something that explorer installs or interupts explorers installation thats causing the freezing. It could be one of your autostart programs. There are things you can try, start by going into msconfig from the run box and under "startup" turn things off and back on one at a time until it boots right and you might find the culprit. Then there is the general tab where you can select a startup with less drivers to see it that fixes it then try to pinpoint the one thats causing the problem. Under the general tab normal startup will only be checked if you have never turned anything off from the startup tab, once you have used the startup tab to turn something off you will be in selective startup mode unless you turn everything back on.Well it seems obvious to me that your explorer.exe is freezing during load and thats why nothing works, its freezing at some point during install. There has to be something that explorer installs or interupts explorers installation thats causing the freezing. It could be one of your autostart programs. There are things you can try, start by going into msconfig from the run box and under "startup" turn things off and back on one at a time until it boots right and you might find the culprit. Then there is the general tab where you can select a startup with less drivers to see it that fixes it then try to pinpoint the one thats causing the problem. Under the general tab normal startup will only be checked if you have never turned anything off from the startup tab, once you have used the startup tab to turn something off you will be in selective startup mode unless you turn everything back on.

If something that installs itself during boot has become corrupt, then once you identify it, you can uninstall and reinstall that app to fix the problem. Its likely this is the case since a corrupt program would attempt to install itself then stop when it hits the bad part and after you go into standby and back the installation is aborted so things work fine. The hardest way but it should work would be to one by one uninstalla nd reinstall all your applications. It takes no sherlock holmesing to find the problem this way, you just do them all.

3. lemonthins

lemonthins Private E-2

Hi - thanks for those suggestions.
    I found that ObjectBar was still loading at startup (even though I have uninstalled it and deleted all related files). After stopping it from loading at startup the taskbar seems ok. Will try another few reboots over the next few days to make sure this has fixed it.

Thanks,
    lemonthins.

4. lemonthins

lemonthins Private E-2

Hi, I think ObjectBar was the cause of the problem. Could you please explain how to remove it from my system? I have uninstalled it and removed all files, but it still appears in MSconfig. Perhaps it's still in the registry?

Thanks,
    lemonthins.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds