HDD Keeps making Ticking sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arond, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Arond

Arond Private E-2

Hello,

my computer keeps loading, and the CPU jumps up to 40 to 90% constantly accompanied with loud loading noise of the HDD arm attempting to read the hard drive. This loading noise even continues when there is no programs running. For example, when I boot up the pc, I let it load all its programs for 10 to 15 minutes, and even when its done loading all programs, it keeps buzzing/ticking as if its loading something.

At first I thought it had to do with malware, so posted in the malware thread on this forum. Kestrel13! kindly guided me through the procedure and checked my logs, and it turned out my pc is clean of any malware, yet the ticking/loading is not resolved.

Some hardware parts in this pc have been recently replaced with new ones, such as new DVD drives, graphics card, etc, but I am still using my old mother board, HDD and power supply. This HDD has been re-installed with Windows XP, Vista or Linux Ubuntu about 8 to 10 times now, with complete harddrive wipes, but the last 4 reinstalls I kept having a lag problem with my pc within a week of reinstall. I figured out that the person who reinstalled my pc, kept putting a illegal version of windows on here, so I purchased a legal version of windows XP last reinstall. At first the pc ran faster, but kept having the 'bzz' sound every few seconds and it has now gotten worse and is affecting my CPU terribly.

I hope I have given you enough information. Is there any way to check if my HDD and motherboard are still in a good shape? Or do you reckon it is time to replace them?

Kind regards,

Aron

2. da.bell

da.bell Private First Class

1. Backup your documents ASAP on that computer
    2. Check the event logs to see if there are disk errors being reported.

It reads like your hard drive is going bad and might want to replace it. $.02

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

I agree with da bell.
    you can download a diagnostic program for your drive, depending on the manufacturer. here's a list of programs to check your drive. http://majorgeeks.com/downloads8.html

You will want check what the manufactur of the drive is, and download their appropriate software. (i.e. seagate/maxtor, you'll want seagate's seatools for windows)

4. Arond

Arond Private E-2

Hello, thank you for your replies!

I have all my important files backed up luckily :). I had some crashes in the past, so I have been backing up everything almost weekly.

I am going to look into those diagnostic programs, thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds