Best Web browser

Discussion in 'Software' started by onegoodman, Jul 30, 2011.

1. onegoodman

onegoodman Private First Class

I would like to hear some opinions on the best web browser for Linux.
    I'm currently using Firefox 5.0, What do you think is better?

2. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

I have migrated mostly to chrome 12

3. onegoodman

Here's what if found with Chrome 12 It takes a little more memory. Than Foxfire but it's uses a little less processor power. Screens on Chrome 12 with online movies are better, and more fluid movement than Foxfire. But Foxfire has it place it all depends on what you want to do on the web.

4. Alex30

Alex30 Private First Class

Hi, I am currently using Chrome 13.and find it faster than FireFox, my previous choice.The page preview ,ezLinkPreview, available as an extention in Chrome (add on) , is better than Coolpreviews in FireFox . You can opt for a true split screen where all of the page is availabe to view on both sides of the split unlike in Firefox where the preview overlaps the original page.For me it is this feature that really clinches the deal but the edge on spped is also welcome.
    One problem I have found is that shell folder fix which forces Win 7 to remember previously open window size and position makes Chrome pages unstable with the desktop breaking through but FireFox is ok.
    Regards Alex.

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have used most of the available browsers over the years and have settled on Palemoon 3.6.18 (not the new 5, it's not compatible with Google toolbar)

It is faster than FF and does not use as much memory.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Don't know what Linux version you are using but its its one based with KDE desktop environment then Konqueror is good, seems to do everything I need.

7. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Yeah, I think it all boils down to preferences, and the fact we have those choices is a good thing. I'm partial to software that is cross-platform compatible, so I personally prefer Firefox and Chrome, with an ever so slight edge to Firefox...although I like Chrome too.

However, sometimes I'm forced to use Internet Explorer in Wine, due to webpage requirements of some proprietary sites that are critical to my profession.

While I haven't used them all extensively enough to comment on pros/cons, I've also used or tried the following:

Konqueror
    Epiphany
    SeaMonkey
    IceWeasel
    Midori

They all do the job for me, but I'll stick with my cross-platform options in the forseeable future!

8. onegoodman

So far I've tried, Epiphany, SeaMonkey, Midori and Chrome. I still like Firefox for some everyday browsing, but I like the way Chrome handles streaming movies. So I'm going to stick with, Chrome and Firefox. I don't need to cross-platform, so wine is something, I really don't need. Thanks, everyone for your opinions, and It just boils down to personal preferences.

9. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Perhaps, but on current machines I don'T think it matters much, yes Chrome uses way more memory than FF yet doesn't slow down like FF does for me, 15 tabs open at some 700MB. Chrome on my Ubuntu machines.

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Totally and always will agree with that comment on any software, try it and see, if you like it then great, its a winner.

11. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, in that order. But Firefox almost exclusively. Haven't tried Chrome in at least a year, trying to keep an open mind, just might give its wheels a kick again. ;)

12. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

firefox then konqueror for me,
    opera doesn't want to open new sessions on a different face of my cube, just opens a new tab on the existing session, it annoys me so i don't use it,

rams not a problem, even when all faces have multiple sessins going with ff

13. ichase

ichase Corporal

As stated, it's all boils down to what you want to do. For basic web browsing, YouTube videos etc, I use Firefox (now up to v6.0) another thing I really like about it is the sync option. Instead of transfering all of my favorites I use sync so that they are easily available to me in other distros that I may be using.

It's what makes Linux so great. There are ALWAYS choices :cool

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds