PHP Oracle8 Linux long varchar

Discussion in 'Software' started by pauljwhite, Jan 10, 2013.

1. pauljwhite

pauljwhite Private E-2

I have a web-based tool programmed in PHP using Oracle8. One of the tables for this app includes a varchar column with a maximum of 2000 characters. This has worked for years on a Solaris server. Recently we moved to a Linux server and this no longer works. The user provides data for this long varchar column in a text box which is then added to the table with an INSERT command. On the Linux server, when the the text size is greater than 245 characters one of a few things happen:

- the text of the next column in the database is appended to the large text field.
    - IE throws a server not found error.
    - the query silently fails and stops the PHP script at that point.

I have no error message. Anyone have any clue?

2. pauljwhite

pauljwhite Private E-2

The problem was with the Linux Oracle Client. We upgraded to 11g and things are now working. The reason I could not get ahead of the problem was that the script had a segmentation fault in the PHP Oracle library or Oracle client and silently died. I found the problem by recreating the problem using a perl script which showed the core dump values following the segmentation fault.:):)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds