CentOS Server now a Windows Server

Discussion in 'Software' started by atlarep, Aug 26, 2013.

1. atlarep

atlarep Private E-2

Hi,
    I have the issue below and I could use any information possible.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I had a CentOS server, and somebody installed Windows Server 2008 by mistake. Unfortunately, the server had a lot important personal data and I need to recover it. I don't need the server itself (OS, etc.); I just need my files.
    Is there any recovery tool I could use specifically for this?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Doesn't CentOS have a built-in file manager and is CentOS installed on the client computer? It should read NTFS partitions and you should be able to recover your files if they weren't overwritten during the Windows Server installation.

3. atlarep

atlarep Private E-2

Hi,
    I really don't understand what you are suggesting. :confused
    The server had CentOS and now it has Windows. How can I retrieve the data if possible?

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

The CentOS server has/had client computers connected to it, does/did it not? If the computer you're posting with is/was connected to that server, it would have had the same Operating System installed on it. CentOS has a file manager as part of the CentOS installation which you should be able to use to recover your files even from a Windows (NTFS file system) formatted disk which the server would have been formatted to prior to the Windows Server installation.

The only condition is that the files weren't deleted or overwritten during the Windows server software installation. If they were, you may be out of luck. Sorry.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds