Hello and boy do I need help!!!

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by Daz58, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Daz58

Daz58 Private E-2

Hi call me Daz. I'm 50 tomorrow and started computers with a trs-80 and stopped at a 386. My concern at the time was that keeping up with the changes was too time intensive and that a few years away they(the business world) would create standards and and hardware would stop becoming outdated and expensive.

After I realized my mistake the Pentium 4 was out and I was far behind the curve. The internet was too big to navigate and viruses were only 1 of many infections a system could be attacked with.

My old fears of system damage have greatly increased and my knowledge of maintaining my system (Acer Aspire t160) is sorely in need of help.

The thing for me is I have no interest in becoming an expert. I just want to look things up and play WOW and maybe a few other games.

Right now I have mail problems, mouse trouble, infections ( of different types) and I'm looking to upgrade my cpu and hard drive.

My biggest holdback is that I'm not able to work (health issues) and am on a limited budget. The purchase of anything means deciding what I'm to do without that month.

To top of everything I came on this site and not understanding what I was doing thought I was to download all the " must have downloads" before I could participate in anything else (because it was in the "new start here " Info ) and by doing too many too fast my system will only run in safe mode.

now I have too much to do and no idea where to start. Any ideas on first steps after the mess was created?

by the way I try to read all I can but it's a foreign language and I have a very very hard time understanding what to do.

2. Doc13%

Doc13% aka Kestrel13! aka Emms

Hi and welcome to majorgeeks!

You will find this to be a very friendly place, in light of the range of your problems I wouldn't really know where to say to begin....maybe post in software first to get rid of some of that software that is bogging your machine down, and then right into malware to start on getting rid of your infections. Either way, someone else will no doubt get you straight on what to tackle first. I can link to the "Read & Run me first" procedures here for malware removal... http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

Best of Luck:wave

3. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

4. Daz58

Daz58 Private E-2

Thanx for the welcome.

Still so much reading... :)

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Daz and Welcome

Yes hardware purchases need to be carefully planned so dont rush into anything quickly, personally I find just allocating some funds monthly for a few months allows me to continue with normal daily expenses without going overboard in one month, so after a few months I have the necessary funds to buy the parts I need.

So what my gist is plan plan plan before buying.

If you need help with anything, we at Majorgeeks will adjust our tech talk to a level your happy with, just let us know in your 1st post that you want any advice in simple terms.

and we all have to start somewhere so DO NOT be afraid to ask what may seem to some as a simple question, as if not asked you will not know what answer is, to be honest you could ask me the simple question of how to turn a PC on and I would answer without making fun of that question as would the regulars at Majorgeeks, which differentiates us from other forums as they would make fun of such as question, we dont you just get honest quick answer.

So have fun with technology, it wont byte :)

6. hyas Daz58 a very big welcome to you;PCs always make me feel old;what with all the new soft and hardware it is a minefield but i assure you,you will get the best help out there,so my advice is to read and read all the info given to you,(Question anything you do not understand and i believe you will do ok..............
    Read all post youre given to help you ;and as i say follow each step exactly and if you get stuck just holler and wait;usually pretty quick,(post and WAIT....)
    all the best to you in youre pc adventure.......LOL GL

7. Daz58

Daz58 Private E-2

Thanx for the confidence build.

Daz58

8. Daz58

Daz58 Private E-2

You are making me feel all squishy :))
    It's nice to not be made fun of. I've got a high IQ and find I think differently than most. It makes it hard for others not to think I don't understand.
    ty much.
    Daz58

9. Daz58

Daz58 Private E-2

Thanx for your patience I am learnig and keep in mind this is my first forum participation.

Daz58

10. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Not to worry we all have high IQs here (mine is 4) so we should have no problem understanding you.

but be warned you definitely need a sense of humor. [​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds