Ubuntu 11 upgrade fail

Discussion in 'Software' started by sandi_sully, May 19, 2011.

1. sandi_sully

sandi_sully Private E-2

I really didn't think I would be in here asking for help so soon.... I recently wiped windows off my pc and installed Ubuntu 10 - stand alone - no dual boot, and have been extremely happy with it. So I decided to go ahead and upgrade to 11, now the pc won't boot, the screen flashes a few times and then it sits with a list of checks all of which are [ok]. I put in the Live CD and used the 'try ubuntu' option to get online. I have asked the Ubuntu help and they instructed me to install Grub2 through the terminal window, however I have not had any success and find the terminal and Linux commands a little confusing and cannot seem to get this to install. I manually mount the /dev/sda1, the type in the install Grub2 command but is says it cannot find /dev/mnt.
    Please, any help is appreciated, I would like to try to fix this rather than a complete wipe out and re-installation as I would like to learn more about Linux and Ubuntu and I would just like my PC up and running.
    Thanks in advance.

the link provided by Ubuntu team to install grub2: http://www.webtechquery.com/index.php/2010/04/install-grub2-from-live-cd/

2. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

ignore the gibberish..."spam happens"

FWIW, I wouldn't upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04...at least not yet.

11.04 is a completely new interface called Unity which requires newer 3d graphics cards; if you don't have the requisite hardware, it is supposed to default to a Gnome desktop. Ubuntu forums are littered with posts similar to yours. Your "flickering screen" description seems to indicate a graphical driver issue that makes me think even if you restore GRUB2, there may be other graphical or corrupted file config issues.

You said you recently wiped out Windows and did a full Ubuntu 10.10 install (very gutsy, but kudos to you!) I'm assuming you don't have much data or customization from a "recent" install. If that's the case, I would recommend that you do a fresh reinstall of 10.10 using the whole disk; just duplicate what you recently did, but don't upgrade to 11.04 when finished!

If you want to hack on the linked solution before you reinstall, per my suggestion, your hard drive is already mounted in a LiveCD as "__ File System"; it will probably be called something like "60GB File System", using your hard disk capacity (60GB?) as the identifier. Knowing this, you should be able to navigate through your directory to the appropriate files to fix any corrupted entries. Go ahead and give it a shot...the worst thing to happen is that your computer won't boot?!!! You can always fall back on the reinstall suggestion with very little downside risk.

Good luck!

3. sandi_sully

sandi_sully Private E-2

Once again, thanks so much. Will just do a complete re-install as I have backup.

4. sandi_sully

sandi_sully Private E-2

All fixed now, used AptonCD to make a backup previously so have all my stuff back. I just want to say Major Geeks is the bomb! and so is Ubuntu I cannot thank you guys enough, my laptop is happy and so am I.

5. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Glad we could be helpful and welcome to the Linux brotherhood on MG! I've received much help from others on this forum and I am grateful that my advice proved useful and helpful.

As the newest member of the MG linux brotherhood, you must also "play it forward" to another user in need, when you are able to do so. It's just the way we roll around here! :cool

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds