WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys XP won't boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by mhmcleod, Mar 9, 2007.

1. mhmcleod

mhmcleod Private E-2

I've got a Windows XP system that won't boot. I went to power it on and it would start to boot but stop with a blank screen. I went into safe mode and it made it through to WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys and stops. I've gone through this numerous times and usually my USB keyboard doesn't work. I've had to add an old keyboard to make any progress. I tried putting in a Norton System works recovery CD and it will give me the option to boot from the CD and then it freezes with the blank screen like it does with the normal boot. I've put in my emachine recovery disk and it does give me an option to restore or go to the command prompt which I can get to. I've seen some references to this problem in forums but I didn't see any clear solutions. Thanks

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I did a search at Microsoft's knowledge base and got the link below. Apparently, the MUP.sys is not the problem; it's the agp440.sys file which is (obviously) related to the video driver subsystem. The way it works is that when the OS load hangs in safe mode, it's the file AFTER the last one listed (which doesn't get listed 'cuz it doesn't load). Anyway- check the link and maybe search the knowledge base for other agp440.sys problems/fixes...
    Link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324764/en-us
    Good luck- keep us posted...

hopperdave2000

4. mhmcleod

mhmcleod Private E-2

I've tried many of the things posted in the forum threads (reset Bios, remove battery, unplug all USB, Unplug extra Hard drive and DVD drive, reseat hardware) and didn't get anywhere. I've got my OEM XP disks so I couldn't find a way into the Recovery Console. Those disks only gave me an option to do a complete restore or boot to "DOS". In does it doesn't recognize my C drive but says it's invalid. I did put in an old hard drive and did a restore to that drive. That got me up and running and I did a Chkdsk on my original drive as a slave and it passed with no problems. I put it back in as the master and had the say stop at MUP which tells me it's proabably something in the Windows drivers or registry. I'm in the process of backing up my original drive so I can do a restore on it. Thanks for the pointers

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds